5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

whistling tb,cai, mass air

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 08:14 PM
mustang93
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: whistling tb,cai, mass air

yeah that definately sounds like an intake leak man. happend to my brothers car and i just used some ultra black and it was good to go after that.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:24 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

i have a whistle too, im 99% sure it's my IAC valve leaking.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:38 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

is it a whislte or is a slurpy noise... when i got a cai and tb and big maf and filter it started making a slurpy noise when i get on it.... i am pretty sure its just all the air gettin sucked it quick.... and i have a cobra... so i have the cobra intake like u... i have a big tb tho... i ran a 75mm setup... so i dont ahve to but new stuff later on... fit into plans better.........if it is a whistle it sounds like u have a leak somewere... sprak soapy water newhere u were working and it should bubble up were the leak is... if its a slurp its probably not a big deal...
Old 12-20-2006, 08:54 PM
stangman94
4th Gear Member

i have a bbk cai and it does that too been told it was CAI and its normal
Old 12-20-2006, 10:24 PM
gt884me
2nd Gear Member

Ive got BBK also and mine does it and I am sure everything is properly connected, I researched after I installed it and from what I have seen some do it and some dont.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:43 PM
JABES
2nd Gear Member

if you want to find where its leakin take some carb cleaner and spray it in and around the joints if the idle goes up then thats your spot. that might be hard if it doesnt whistle when you are at idle, but try it. i would fix it cause if its big enough it could make you run lean which can be bad you dont want to overheat the combustion chambers, esp if you have aluminum heads. warping=bad.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

the whistling is just the IAC working, its not leaking. mine didnt do it either when i had it stock then when i went with the edelbrock performer rpm & 70mm tb and new iac i heard it too, and it doesnt do it all the time. its just the iac working thats all.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:45 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Good Links.

Some of thelarger TB's are known to have a whistle.
BBK has the worst reputation, but I have also heard that the newer models are ok.

As mentioned in the links above...
Sometimes drilling a hole in the throttle plate or raising the idle helps.

Others, like me, just say to hell with it and try to get used to the sound. Mine isn't so loud that it bothers me... much.

jason
Old 12-21-2006, 11:04 PM
JABES
2nd Gear Member

[align=left]
ORIGINAL: Ecstasy
[/align]
the whistling is just the IAC working, its not leaking. mine didnt do it either when i had it stock then when i went with the edelbrock performer rpm & 70mm tb and new iac i heard it too, and it doesnt do it all the time. its just the iac working thats all.
im dont think thats the IAC they dont even do anything once you open the throttle so driving that wouldnt be the IAC, hence the name Idle Air Control. and it shouldnt whistle, unless its broken. what vristang said is most likely true if you dont have a leak
Old 12-21-2006, 11:23 PM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vristang

Good Links.

Some of thelarger TB's are known to have a whistle.
BBK has the worst reputation, but I have also heard that the newer models are ok.

As mentioned in the links above...
Sometimes drilling a hole in the throttle plate or raising the idle helps.

Others, like me, just say to hell with it and try to get used to the sound. Mine isn't so loud that it bothers me... much.

jason

I have a hole in the throttle body plate and i thought it was stock, is there a small hole in the stock throttle plate?

Quick Reply: whistling tb,cai, mass air