5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cooling system is acting wierd...need help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 08:30 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Default Cooling system is acting wierd...need help ASAP!

About a week and a half ago I went to leave for work, after letting my car warm up for 15 minutes it is still sitting at like 120 degrees, start driving home and the temp shoots up to around 225-240 and it fluctuates between 150-240 for about two miles before I got home. So the next day I change the thermostat, my temps are acting weird but not overheating. Replaced w/ a 195*$4.00 advance auto stat

Anyway, today I was driving to work...about a mile after leaving my temp guage (aftermarket autometer guage on the A pillar) it's still sitting at 100*. I start driving a bit more, it goes to 150, come to a stop and it goes to 140ish. My heat going hot and cold in the mean time. About a mile from work it goes up to 180* and I can actually see the needle move up there pretty quickly, then it jumps to 195, hovers there, goes back down to 180. I come to a stop light and it goes back down to 150*, pull into work and its back at 180.

My fan shroud, water pump (napa reman'dunit), radiator, and fan clutch are all new.

I've really gotta get this fixed. I am a hairs width from selling this damn car, it's cost me nothing but money. It seems once I fix one thing on the car another thing breaks, I can't afford to keep replacing ****. I'm praying all it is is an air bubble in the system.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:37 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cooling system is acting wierd...need help ASAP!

check the sending unit
Old 12-20-2006, 08:41 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

How do I do that? Where is it? I don't think its any kind of sensor becuase the temperature of the engine is fluctuating because the in-cabing heater is going hot and cold with the engine.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

My cousin had a simliar problem with his car. His car would over heat drop in temp an then raise up again we re placed the thermo and checked thehoses and water pump, ended up being his radiotor. I don't know what they're called it's inside the radiaotor they like some holes/pores I don't know anyways some where clogged up or messed up it was the stock radiator so it was time for a new one. Once he replaced it the temp gage never moved was always running cool. MIGHT be that?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:55 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

honestly it sounds like it low coolant, which in turn would be air. burp the hell out of it, even disconnect a heater hose from the block and let it burp there too.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:00 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

def sounds like an air bubble burp the system take the cap off the rad and let it run for how ever long it takes your therm to open you will see the coolant rise and probably over flow for a couple seconds then suck down real fast from there just ad more coolant
Old 12-20-2006, 09:03 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chuy1988

My cousin had a simliar problem with his car. His car would over heat drop in temp an then raise up again we re placed the thermo and checked thehoses and water pump, ended up being his radiotor. I don't know what they're called it's inside the radiaotor they like some holes/pores I don't know anyways some where clogged up or messed up it was the stock radiator so it was time for a new one. Once he replaced it the temp gage never moved was always running cool. MIGHT be that?
I replaced my radiator about three months ago when my water pump shaft broke and the fan tore a hole in the stock one...
Old 12-20-2006, 09:11 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VigCS

ORIGINAL: Chuy1988

I replaced my radiator about three months ago when my water pump shaft broke and the fan tore a hole in the stock one...
ha mine tops yours my fan clutch BLEW to pieces and those pieces went right through my radiator and the rest hit the road and watched them fly out from under my car smoking
Old 12-20-2006, 09:23 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Not to be an ***, but that doesn't help me much right now. I'm so ****ing frustrated.

I should note that the car is NOT overheating, the temp is just fluctuating a lot.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:28 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

burp the system it sounds like low coolant i work at a shop thats what happens when you have an air bubble or not enough coolant

Quick Reply: Cooling system is acting wierd...need help ASAP!