5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I want a pony again..........Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 09:21 PM
SmartOJ

Default I want a pony again..........Help!!!

Well guys i bought a 91 gt off ebay about a month ago and totaled it this week. I hydroplaned and hit a pole to make a long story short.I used the search feature but am having a hard time finding specific info for the years that i want to do a 5.0 swap on..........So help me out.

I have/had a 1991 mass air 5.0 gt all original no hacked wires. i have found a 1990 4 banger lx for $250 with very solid interior and exterior.it has a bad motor but all wiring is intact on it.I've got 3 buddies of mine that are amateur motorheads but with four of us on this project we can get-er done. those are the facts , now here are the questions.

1.Exactly what harnesses do i need to pull from my 5.0 for this swap?I want to stay fuel injected, and I dont wanna have to do any rigging, I want it to look like it belongs there.so in other words do i really have to pull the dash harness or the such for this application or can i get away with just the engine harness and ecm and so on.I need specifics for this swap because this is what im going to look back on as we get started.

2.What else specifically do i need to pull from the gt per this application as i do have a complete car to pull from?

3.And please offer anyuseful tips that will help me as this is my first swap.

I really appreciate the input from everyone who helps me mount back up. I know sum people will say just buy a 5.0 but i see this as a cheaper route to get another pony without spending another 2 to $3000 for a decent gt. once again thanks.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:55 PM
SmartOJ

Default RE: I want a pony again..........Help!!!

and i forgot to mention that both cars are autos
Old 01-19-2007, 10:18 PM
redRPMhatch
1st Gear Member

You'll need the computer, and the wiring from the computer to the engine bay. You will also need the injector harness, and all the sensors. Also will need to swap trannys, the 4 banger tranny will work but the one in the GT will be stronger. Also, if you want it done right, you will need to swap rear-end. The stock 4 banger one will be a ticking time bomb if you plan on builiding the car at all. Also be sure to swap out the gauage cluster.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:05 PM
SmartOJ

ok thanks alot.so does the engine harness run thru the dash at all or it goes str8 thru the firewall to the motor? i was getting worried for a minute because i really did not feel like disassembling two dashes for the harness. and to confirm does that mean that i can use the 4 banger headlight harness also?
Old 01-20-2007, 02:16 AM
SmartOJ

only one response?
Old 01-20-2007, 02:29 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

You could be lazy and stick a carb on the 5.0 and get rid of a good bit of the wiring.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:38 AM
SmartOJ

ttt.anyone?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:52 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

If you want to do it right, you should COMPLETELY STRIP the 4 banger... i mean everything... take it right down to a shell. Keep all of your interior pieces in a neat pile cuz you may want them in there again

You will want to swap your K-member in, OR get a tubular one while everything is out. ALSO it would be a good idea to remove the entire rear axle from your 91 and stick it in the 90.... the 4 bangers had a 7.5" diff... you want the 8.8"

then install EVERYTHING from the 5.0.... Itll take time, but you can eliminate lots of little problems while its apart.... like replacing the heater core!
Old 01-20-2007, 03:28 PM
SmartOJ

anyone else??? im trying to gather as much info for my application as possible.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:40 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

Do what adder said, it wont be as hard as you think, take the dash out of the stang you are taking the engine out of first, so you learn how to do it right and remember everything. i think you might need a new fuel pump too

Quick Reply: I want a pony again..........Help!!!