5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Florida 5.0 gauge cluster installed, w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:42 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Florida 5.0 gauge cluster installed, w/ pics

Yes you do have to modify the wiring and you are setting yourself up for failure if you use scotch locks or other hillbilly methods of splicing. Buy a male & female hardshell connector with the pigtails and make your splices with solder and weatherstrip. Then it is 100% dependable AND you can disconnect it should the dash ever have to come out. I ran a single fused power wire to a distribution block from radio shack and then tapped all my powers off the block. Same with the grounds. All the signal wires you need are already in the stock I/C connectors. You can really screw this up if you do it wrong - I know, I am correcting all the mistakes from the jerk who installed it. I am not saying that the scotch locks won't work. Mine did for months. Then one by one I have gauges go out.Do yourself a favor and install the overpricedkit in adependable manner. Things like thedash screw retainers wear out and you will end upwith a squeeky,rattling or stripped out dash if you pull it apart every few months to repair the opens that the scotch locks WILL create.Splice toomany powers off thea single wire and you could end up with a melted fuse box. The current flow will never get high enough to pop the fuse but the heat will be enough to melt the box. Learn from my experience guys, I have been doing wiring repairs for yearsand I have NEVER seen a scotch lock hold up over time.
Gotta have the Bud when working on a car!!
Old 02-07-2007, 02:49 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Looks good Ruger, I thought you had a coupe.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:50 PM
GaryBisiniere
3rd Gear Member

id love to order that but damnnn 600$ thats almost a blower
Old 02-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

That looks great.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:33 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

twotone we have the identical car except i havea white top,,

yes i agree about the scotch locks, thats why i did my own splicing and ign wire fuse block,, the scotches will work fine but you can save yourself the trouble and just splice the wires, not that much more time to do
Old 02-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

I think you should really put your dash back together and then take pictures.One thing I don't like about the florida50 gauge plate/holder is that it doesnt keep that stock look, you can't put the clear gauge lens back on or anything like that. Theonly thing I like about the florida50 setup is the autometer gauges...
Old 02-07-2007, 05:55 PM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

What ohm is the feul level on a 5.0
Old 02-07-2007, 06:07 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

145 ohms full
22.5 ohms empty.

Yeah, this is a stupid way to do it. Speaking of scotch locks, my fuel level is one of two signal wires that still have scotch locks (had to leave myself something to do this year ya know?). Sooooo, I fill up and it sits a few weeks for the weather. I jump back in and beat on it for the weekend. Then, when my fuel level gets to about 1/2 - it stalls. NO fuel pressure.Long story short, I have no working speedo (mechanical sucks, going electric in spring too) so I think I really have 1/2 tank. Hell, I didn't drive a whole tank out in two daysright? Wrong. I still installed the fuel pump (255 that I needed anyway[:@]) but my tank was BONE DRY. The damn scotch lock made a half-assed connection and because the fuel level is higher with higher resistance - the gauge read "half". Nowdays, the senders typically default to empty when the circuit is open. Ours defaults to full.Yet another reason to wire it properly!
Old 02-07-2007, 06:08 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

scout,,, all i got to say to each his own,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ony reason i went with the florida50 package is b/c it IS the closest thing to stock that you can get and still look pretty much stock, i dont like all those gauges on my a pillar or on my dash, but like i said everyone has their own opinions, nothing better than to drive by someone with a huge tach on their dash all lit up and glowing,, thats kinda like those ppl with their "steal me" stickers on their car JL AUDIO ROCKFORD FOSGATE,, etc,, known too many ppl that have had their cars broken into and their gauges stolen,, esp on my vert not that hard to cut the top and grab whatever they want,,, i am also going to get the three gauge radio plate to keep everythign sort of concealed that way i dont have any gauges sticking out anywhere,, that is the closest you can look to stock

and not to mention that my stock 85mph gauge cluster tach was off by 400rpm and when i put in the 140mph cluster it was off by about 250rpm,, so that was ****ty
Old 02-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

OH, yea I totally agree, I just don't like the gauge panel/holder. This is what I plan on buying when/if I ever go that route. http://www.mc-machine.com/87dash/87dash.htm

Quick Reply: Florida 5.0 gauge cluster installed, w/ pics