5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Ford Racing springs on a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:28 PM
saltydogg
1st Gear Member

Default Ford Racing springs on a daily driver

My mustang is a daily driver. I'm not in to racing or taking it to the strip/track. My ride is way too sloppy right now. I've only had the car a few months and I replaced the shocks/struts with OEM equivalent ones from the local parts store. It made some improvement to the ride but the car still has too much roll in turns and lane changes. I'm assuming that the coil springs are worn out. Should I just go with OEM equivalent springs or get the Ford racing kit seen here...
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
and here...
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...48325_-1_10077

What else can I do to tighten things up?

Please remember that my car is a daily driver. I'm not going for a low-rider look or anything that will give me too harsh of a ride. Also, my front end seems to be sagging (see pic in signature) compaired to the rear which also leads me to believe my springs are shot.

Any advice/info is appreciated...thanks!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:40 PM
saltydogg
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Racing springs on a daily driver

After doing a little more reading on the FRPP kits it looks like the G kit has the most drop (1.2"). The B or C kit looks more like the routeI need to take...how do I interpret the spring rate numbers?

"B" kit
Lowers 1979-94 Mustangs - Front .875" - Rear .5"
Spring Rate - Front 425/530 - Rear 200/300

"C" kit
Lowers 1979-94 Mustangs - Front .875" - Rear .5"
Spring Rate - Front 650 - Rear 200/300

"G" kit
Lowers 1979-94 Mustangs - Front 1.2" - Rear 1.2"
Spring Rate - Front 500/570 - Rear 170/310
Old 02-07-2007, 05:47 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

the higher the spring rate the stiffer the spring will ride. are all those ford springs linear rate or do they make a progressive rate spring?
Old 02-07-2007, 05:51 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Do you have subframe connectors? If not, get some. They stiffen up the body.

Also a strut tower brace is supposed to help body roll. Im going to get one soon.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:11 PM
saltydogg
1st Gear Member

Onyx - according to the description on Summit..."These kits come with revised-rate front and rear springs that lower the car and tighten up the handling." So does "revised-rate" translate in to "progressive"?

PJB - I bought the car in bone stock condition. I don't have subframe connectors or a strut tower brace.I'm on very limited funds but one day I hope to have both.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:46 PM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

Well, if you're limited on the funds you might want to get the sub-frames then look for springs. Like PJB said, they stiffen the body and might help a little with the sloppiness.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:53 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

I have C springs on my daily and they work well
Old 02-07-2007, 06:57 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I just looked up those 3 springs on Summit. The B and C springs are linear rate, which means they are like stock. Linear means they are the same stiffness regardless of how much they are compressed. The G springs are progressive rate. Progressive springs have a more soft ride under normal conditions but as they compress they get stiffer. The more they compress the stiffer they get, which is good under hard cornering, etc. The stock springs are linear so if you want a little drop but stock handling characteristics I would go with the B or C springs. Base your decision on how stiff and how low you want yoru car to be, between the advertised drop and the spring rates.

Does that make sense?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:59 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

even eiback springs will be fine for your daily driver feel a little bumpier but all in all it will get rid of anything sloppy ill be getting a set for my car soon and some adjustable shocks and struts
Old 02-07-2007, 07:14 PM
saltydogg
1st Gear Member

Onyx...thanks for all the info. It's all starting to make sense now.

Hack...Eiback is the premium brand from everything I've heard/read...but with that comes the premium price. $250 for the cheapest set. I can get the FRPP B/C kit for under $150 and the G kit for $210. Now I just have to decide which set to get. I'm leaning toward the C set...for now.

Quick Reply: Ford Racing springs on a daily driver