5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Long Headers

Old 02-08-2007, 04:07 AM
Grunnsetning

Default RE: Long Headers

I loved my BBK long tubes. Had alot more room under the hood compared to the equal length shorties I previously had. They also looked great polished.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:33 AM
5.slow33
1st Gear Member

go with the shorties man if you dont have a lift then good luck putting them on i have them on mine and like them alot but it didnt seem woth the time it took to put them in. if you are planing on putting new motor mont on then get long tube cause you have to jack the motor up a few inches but if not shorties are the way to go in my book
Old 02-08-2007, 04:49 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frdmstng1986GT

ORIGINAL: LTnone

BBK. And long tubes will be more efficient after ~350bhp, before that you'll lose low end torque. IMO, if you plan on continuing the modding, the temporary/small loss of power is worth not having to buy/install new headers a little while down the road
that is a myth actually.. long tubes will not kill youre power down low. long tubes actually produce more low end power on 99% of the cars they are bolted on to then shorties will.. i have actually seen shorties loose power over a stock exhaust header on a basicly stock mustang before.. i'll be it it was only 2-3 hp and 1-2 ft\lbs but it was still a loss.. bolt on long tubes on the very same car then it gained like5 hp and 11ft-lbs of torque. i am sorry that i can not prove this as it was over 5 years ago when i was going to uti in illinois.
Interesting. I have read a few magazine dyno comparisons that told me otherwise, but who knows. I'll have to look into it more
Old 02-08-2007, 06:39 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

mac makes good headers. their long tubes about $250. I just paid $360 for mac long tubes and h-pipe and shipping.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:03 PM
BRizzle2208
2nd Gear Member

I like my long tubes i bought bkk off summitracing for $230. just know that if you do the install yourself it will be a pain in the *** and if you have a shop do it chances are it will cost 2 or 3 times the amount the header themselves did. i installed mine and it took about 8 hours and wasnt an easy task. first of all you might as well replace the motor mounts while your at it because they are cheap and you have to pull the motor off the mounts to install anyway. i gained 7hp and 11tq to the rear tires with mine which may not seem worth it but you will definately see more gains in future mods. also they sound great i think but another draw back is that they are a tight fit and sometimes will rub just a little bit on the k member but its up to you. if you dont have much done to the car i would wait until you do.

Cobra heads
Cobra intake manifold70mm BBK Throttlebody
C&L Mass Air
E303 cam
BBK cold air
24# injectors
Granetelli alum. race radiator
Flex-a-lite electric fan
BBK longtube headers
BBK mid-pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder 40-series cat-back
3:73 gears
hurst short throw
MSD ignition
kenny brown sub-frame connectors
kenny brown k-member
BBk under-drive pulleys
aluminum drive shaft
17" chrome cobra r with BFG KDW up front and ET street in the rear

277rwhp 314rwtq
Old 02-08-2007, 07:30 PM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BRizzle2208

I like my long tubes i bought bkk off summitracing for $230. just know that if you do the install yourself it will be a pain in the *** and if you have a shop do it chances are it will cost 2 or 3 times the amount the header themselves did. i installed mine and it took about 8 hours and wasnt an easy task. first of all you might as well replace the motor mounts while your at it because they are cheap and you have to pull the motor off the mounts to install anyway. i gained 7hp and 11tq to the rear tires with mine which may not seem worth it but you will definately see more gains in future mods. also they sound great i think but another draw back is that they are a tight fit and sometimes will rub just a little bit on the k member but its up to you. if you dont have much done to the car i would wait until you do.

Cobra heads
Cobra intake manifold70mm BBK Throttlebody
C&L Mass Air
E303 cam
BBK cold air
24# injectors
Granetelli alum. race radiator
Flex-a-lite electric fan
BBK longtube headers
BBK mid-pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder 40-series cat-back
3:73 gears
hurst short throw
MSD ignition
kenny brown sub-frame connectors
kenny brown k-member
BBk under-drive pulleys
aluminum drive shaft
17" chrome cobra r with BFG KDW up front and ET street in the rear

277rwhp 314rwtq
Thanks thats great info! I saw in Race pages that they put a set of JBA long tubes on an S197 and got like 25 horsepower and almost 50 ft lbs of torque at the tires with them. Plus the powerband was incredible. I understand I am not going to see that on my motor since it doesn't breathe as well as thsoe 3Valve motors do but I am planning big mods in the future. Basically I want to shoot for 400 horsepower at the flywheel and then 100 with the bottle for a total of 5 when I am feelin compeitive on saturday nights at Speedworld. I am tired of losing to SRT4's and Subaru's!
Old 02-08-2007, 11:53 PM
bobbyward
2nd Gear Member

i have a set of like new mac's and pro chamber for a 5spd i'd like to
sell, i have mac's on 2 cars, one set has been on for 6-7 years with zero problems, no clearance to rub anything, the auto car has about
a mile on it but i like the long tubes as i grew up with long tubes and anything less really isn't headers but that is another story.............i have shorties onmy mark and they just don't really remind of real "headers"
that's my 2 cents for the good or bad ............................
Old 02-08-2007, 11:57 PM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

are they for an sn95? the fox and sn95 headers are diffrent i think.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:09 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I have bbks. Fit alright some minor problems with the bbk h pipe fitment though but that was fixable. On a stock motor i didn't notice any loss in low end and noticed a great difference in up top end.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:49 AM
87ragtop
1st Gear Member

cmon guys.... wheres the spirit.... no one ever said everything fun will be easy to acheive.... if you wanna wimp out cause you dont wanna do the extra work and put the shorties in thats ure business... but i beleive in go big or go home and do it right the first time... i have ordered the LT's personally because its better for the car... and given the shoice id do it again... jst my .02

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long Headers