5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

alt problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 04:21 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

Default alt problems

has anyone had their alt **** the bed from sittig too long? before my car sat for about 4 months the alt was fine now i got a new battery and its still not holding a charge and the alt is fairly new about a year and a half old
Old 02-10-2007, 05:31 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Default RE: alt problems

Check for corrosion on your connections. Moisture could have messed with them after sitting for a while.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:14 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

did that when i got the car back together they were fine could it be to much of a strain from the electric fan?
Old 02-10-2007, 06:48 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

The fan could have very well toasted the Alt. I have gone through 4, yes 4, Boshe alternators because i have an electric fan. I think it puts alot of strain on the alternator causing it to burn out fast. But i got a lifetime warrenty on it, so i just get a new one. I dont mind swapping out alternators, but once i do my 393 i think i will get an upgraded unit.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:56 PM
turt
2nd Gear Member

Im not sure what year your car is but I assume you have a starter relay switch??? Now its been a while since I had one one my car but I think if the contacts are bad inside the relay it can effect charging of the battery. The other thing is.... does the car die while driving it, or does it just not start after turning it off? If its the no start one, how long will it need to sit before it doesnt start after driving it?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:24 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

my car is an 84 its carbed i can run it for as long as i want and its fine the moment i turn the car off i cant turn it back on...i think anyway i just put a new battery in the previous owner had the side post battery like a gm in it and i changed it back finally i was able to restart the car about 6 times in 2 weeks with out a problem...cant drive the car no insurance or registration. i started it yesterday it was fine go to start it today and all it does is wop wop wop woooop and i can here the holley red fuel pump running cause its load as all hell i can hear it over my exhaust a lot ill just get the multi meter from the shop and hook a power pack to the battery and see if its charging
Old 02-10-2007, 07:34 PM
turt
2nd Gear Member

huh...sometimes after starting the car a bunch of times it realy should be driven to recharge the batt. The alt is a pretty slow charge and if the car is only idling for the time its running, then it may not be producing enough to charge the battery. Its good to have a Digital Multi Meter and a test light for this type of diag. I would check the voltage at the battery when the car is running at idle....it should be near 14V. If it stays around 12V then you probobly have an alternator problem. If it does go to high 13's or 14's then your problem may be someware else. I can think of a dozen things...... If you have a test light you may want to check for a parasitic draw. This is when you have the key out of the ignition, all doors and electrical OFF, disconnect the neg. battery cable and connect the test light aligator clamp to the neg batt cable clamp and prob the Neg batt post with the test light. If the light goes on, u proobly have a drain on your battery like something not turning off???? Well anyway..its not ez to test engine electrical problems without a good DVOM and Test Light soooooooooo,,, hope this sheds some light.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:37 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

just stick your tongue across both terminals...like testing a 9 volt battery
Old 02-10-2007, 10:18 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FiveLiterRiceEater

just stick your tongue across both terminals...like testing a 9 volt battery
haha thanks jeremie i think i will try that

yeah work in a shop turt so when i go there ill grab the multi meter and the light i know what the draw is i was gunna check that too i just wanted some extra input on this and when i had it running it wasnt at idle very much i would sit in the car and hold it at 2k for a while and rev it up a lot
Old 02-10-2007, 10:22 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Have you checked to see if there is a draw on the system?

Quick Reply: alt problems