5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Will some catback make my car louder? Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default Will some catback make my car louder? Video

May sound like a silly question, but:

When I bought my car, it came with some kind of flowmasters welded in. I know that some Flowmaster mufflers are shorter/longer than others...mine are the shorter type. Unfortunately, that's all I really know about them. I took the car to a muffler shop (for another reason), and inquired about getting some slightly louder mufflers. The guy at the muffler shop told me that I can't make my car any louder than it already is w/out changing my headers and h-pipe. I find this hard to believe. Is this true, or is there some catback system that will make my car a bit louder. Here's a clip of what it sounds like now.

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/tbrown_04/?action=view¤t=MOV01799.flv

Old 02-11-2007, 03:55 PM
ErikSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Will some catback make my car louder? Video

If you put a set of SLP or Magnaflow magnapacks on your car, it will be ALOT louder.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Thanks, Erikstang. For that matter, I've heard that Flows are quite restrictive. Will a good catback system free up any hp worth mentioning, or not really?
Old 02-11-2007, 04:12 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

The MAC catback will make it louder. If you want to keep those mufflers and make it louder go with an O/R h or x pipe. The mid-pipe swap is a lot cheaper than a catback.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:16 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

The biggest probem you will run into is that if you change out your catback, your gonna have to deal with thosae stupid holes in your rear bumper....
Old 02-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

The biggest probem you will run into is that if you change out your catback, your gonna have to deal with thosae stupid holes in your rear bumper....
Yeah, I haven't worked that out yet. I'm wondering if an LX catback can be made to fit into those holes.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:25 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

They are retarted because each catback has a different tone, produces different noise levels, etc. You can swap to something else to make it louder. But why do that? Why not just continue with the rest of your exhaust system?
Old 02-11-2007, 04:32 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

They may have been commenting on the system possibly being fully welded together. Which i have seen before... so it is possible
Old 02-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

They are retarted because each catback has a different tone, produces different noise levels, etc. You can swap to something else to make it louder. But why do that? Why not just continue with the rest of your exhaust system?
Thanks again, fells. I go back and forth between wanting to install a full exhaust, and not wanting to tamper with my torque curve...which I like a lot. I know that if I replace my h-pipe or headers, the car may feel a little softer around town and in traffic. I've just noticed that so many times on other vehicles, that I've been reluctant to change anything but the catback on the Mustang. Besides, in general, I don't like the makeshift catback I'm running now. I'll probably replace that and then decide what else, if anything, I'll do to the exhaust.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:56 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Why would the car feel "softer" around town if you swap out your exhaust?

Quick Reply: Will some catback make my car louder? Video