5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

diagnose a t5 problem? help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:23 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: diagnose a t5 problem? help

ORIGINAL: 91gtworkinit

matt del where do u live in maine? see i knew this site was going to help lol...the thanks for the info..the clutch does make sense i mean its jsut so many problems going in (engaging) ill serouisly drive to get the help yah know? but yea adjusting the clutch see thats where i draw a blank never done it.
i dont live in maine but my son does
Old 02-23-2007, 02:30 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cbennett

if his clutch isnt disengaging all the way.. once he gets the car started.. he should be able to drive, and shift thru each gear.. without the clutch.. of course very smoothly and at a certain rpm.. rather than just mashing the clutch down, and trying to force it into gear

*shrug*
i work on computers all day not cars lol
so dimebag is probably right
well your right, kind of... thats possible but its bad for the syncros, and can rly **** them up. last thing he should do it stress out the already hurting syncros, or if there fine(i doubt) dont need to put all that stress on them
Old 02-23-2007, 02:33 AM
91gtworkinit
1st Gear Member

alright well this is def a hudge help. as far as from 3-4 it dosent grind when i get on it.. anymore than it does.i do notice tho when im coming to a light ill be going like 1 or 2 mph and everytime it will go into first with a clunk...but if i were to come to a copmplete stop there would be a chance it wouldnt engage into first.id be willing 94gtcoupe to work with u on rebuilding it for me as far as the price im in the budget of $1200 or any less is good but thats all i got. but id rather have someone who can do it..around here theres not a lot of ppl that can do it. where does your son reside in maine? i live in ellsworth area..but really guys this is helping a lot thanks really.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:36 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

my son is in jefferson, inbetween portland and rockland
Old 02-23-2007, 02:39 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

ok well this was a lot of partly right answer so you guys can stop guessing now... i'm gunna answer all the queations so the next post will be lengthy
Old 02-23-2007, 02:40 AM
kintek
2nd Gear Member

That sounds like what mine was doing, I replaced the clutch and a flywheel, and I figured it was the trans. After installing the new parts a week later, the trans straight locked up again, and I had to limp it 25 miles to town hearing it scream at me the whole way. In my opinion its both your clutch problem/trans needs to be replaced, but thats just me.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:41 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

sounds exactly like my old t5.... i still stick w. wut all i said, lol.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:46 AM
91gtworkinit
1st Gear Member

mattdel is there any way i could get a # to call him? i dint ask and u dint say so but does he rebuild trannys? if so than i would make the trip..the car is stored right now and all winter i have been looking for a reason for a road trip lol. also guys just wanted to remind u that it was a auto and the guy i bought it from did the t5 swap now i dont know if hes the type of guy that would cut corners and not use a alighmnet tool or he may have just bought a clutch and not a kit and put it in? he could have not resurfaced the flywheel to. man i wish money grew on trees id have a t5 with g-force internals and that would be the end of it lol. but it def goes into gear a lot better while its moving then at a stop. also like from 3to 4th no matter what if i go from fith down to fourth it grinds. its just a piece of junk...i personally dont beat on it sometime i burn tires and stuff but no power shifting...i have fed cought third in it like three times and no break down from it..i drove it for 4 months like this and couldnt realyl break it..so im thinking proably the cluth and syncros both if not the clutch def i dont think he did something right in the swap..so adj is proably the best place to start..when i went to buy the car he said something about him recentley adj the clutch to fix something...the guy is pretty good tho he did all the work on the car himslef but i jsut done know hes older and not do or die mustang fan and i just think he would be the type to skip something take the heap way out.yah know. but really guys the info here is helping im pullign my hair out over it lol
Old 02-23-2007, 02:50 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

i think you have things mixed up my son is 6, if he's rebuilding tranny's, i wanna know about it lol
Old 02-23-2007, 02:53 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

first and formost that is some funny sh*t lol
ORIGINAL: 87black snake

ORIGINAL: mattdel

94gtcoupe, come on down....
the almighty tranny king!!!
and your problem is mostly bad syncros, the clutch may or may not be magnifying the problem, it's time to adjust the clutch ( recommend getting a new one)and get a rebuild, if you want me to do it i can talk to you about it (and i can do it for way under you budget) i'm not gunna go into detail about why each gear does what it's does i'll just say it's because of the different amounts of torque applied in each gear... and your reverse poping out is because the bearings are binding

Quick Reply: diagnose a t5 problem? help