5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

new to 5.0's...have a question!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:17 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: new to 5.0's...have a question!

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

-P.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

ORIGINAL: NYstang

back story- Im selling my 6, and looking at a 94 GT vert. Its just going to be a cruiser, nothing radical or trying to be really fast. anyway, to get a little more power, i was thinking this-

1- Roush short throw - Won't do anything for performance, but makes shifting a lot easier
2- K&N CAI or drop in(site says the CAI gives 12 HP. with 6's, it gives more like 1...but is that true for 5.0's?) - 6-10 rwhp is kind of semi accurate
3- BBK underdrive pullys - About 10 rwhp give or take a couple
4-BBK unequal shorty headers - Probably 5 rwhp, give or take a couple
5-flowmaster force 2 catback & some tips... - Not the best for rwhp as flows are kind of restrictive, I'm gonna say about 5 for the exhaust

what are all your opinions on this stuff? anyhting better or worse with it? overall, whats a realistic gain? on a sixxer, i know all that is worth maybe 15hp.

Im trying to keep it around 1000 tops, as this is just going to be my dd. but any input appreciated

oh, and i can only do bolt ons- all this is going to be done in my autoshop class
Sounds like a good plan, but I'd skip out on the pullies, and invest that money towards a mid pipe. I like the sound of o/r X pipes, but others like the more louder h pipe, so that ones up to you, x will produce about 1 or 2 more rwhp though. I have O/R Bassinis and they're very well made, still looks good as new, look on ebay for some good deals. CAI won't do too much, but after seeing the long term effects on my car with the K&N drop in thing I say just go ahead and get it, they look better anyways.

I'd get the rear end done with some 3.55 or 3.73 gears. I have 3.55s and they're great for DD and have a nice bit of boost when you want/need it. Upgrading the rear end to an eaton, auburn, or detroit also isn't a bad idea, but a little over kill for an othewise stock car.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:28 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

You are all fools, the getup I posted will get em into the 13's with a 2.73 gear. 302's are not like mod motors, they actually make torque. He'll benefit the MOST from heads, cam and exhaust.
-P.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:30 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Totally agree with you on that one, but he said he's currently not looking to do all that, but I'm sure he'll change his mind, just like we all did.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:32 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

D-oh!

what about the normal one with these tips:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...44805_-1_10255
520-22208
Old 02-27-2007, 10:35 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Its actually a safer swap IMO. Cuz youll be utilizing the OE components so you know itll work. And if the duration of the B cam worries you and your ECU, get an E303. And if the factory EFI system is working properly it should compensate for the changes made (this is why carbs are better ). Well, until it reaches its limit.
-P.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:51 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

so i dont really get that in the first post by you...I should or shouldnt get the CAI? if not that, ill get a drop in. and do you know the best(and cheapest..)place to get pullies, if they are really worth it?

and you wouldnt happen to have a list for 5.0's like you do sixxers, do you?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:54 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

i was doing more in depth shopping and cant figure 1 thing....

what about 02 sensors?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:29 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ur stock o2 sensors will be fine. i have bbk uneaqual shorties, bbk 2.5" o/r h-pipe, and mac 2.5" catback and i love the sound. um pullies are not worth the investment really. get the k&n drop in filter and remove the air silencer (inside ur fender) if it hasnt been done already. get a bigger MAF like a 75mm and a bigger TB like a 70mm and if you do want to do gears i'd go w/ 3.55s cuz you want a DD and thoes will give you some decient acceleration and just rebuild the trac-loc you dont need a locker unless you have a lot of power. all of that should get you where you want to be. oh and get an 96 explorer intake upper and lower and while ur at it the gt40 heads (you can get this at a junkyard for cheap) but that may or may not be too much work for you. all of that is what i plan to do to my car
Old 02-28-2007, 03:58 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

ok, now a question with the shifter- in the catalog i have, it listd the roush shifter to fit 94-04. online, the same part # says the 3650 only. Which is right? or if it doesnt fit...whats a better shifter?

Quick Reply: new to 5.0's...have a question!