5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

is this a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:28 AM
sipynsyrup
2nd Gear Member

Default is this a problem?

The other day while trying to figure out why my car was sputtering and missing(it was dark outside). I ran the odb1 and while I was standing there I was able to see the lighting of the spark plug wires. So I made sure they were connected good and went for a drive. Problem was fixed, but the wires were in bad shape so I went ahead and replaced them. After replacing them I dont have the missing anymore at all, BUT you can still see the spark from the spark plugs around the wires. Only noticeable when the area is pitch black and you really have to look hard, but you can see the lighting.

Is this a problem??

I got new plugs about 3 months ago. My friend installed them for me. I am not sure if he gapped them correctly.

What should I gap my plugs to?

Also, after replacing the wires I now hear a small noise coming from the coil when the car is on. It sounds like a very soft ticking. What could this be??
Old 03-02-2007, 12:31 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: is this a problem?

Yeah, it's a problem. What kinda wires did you put on it?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:39 AM
sipynsyrup
2nd Gear Member

8mm accel wires from orielly...

the wires are on good.. I am thinking the plugs are gapped incorrectly

I have a feeling my friend didnt gap them because he didnt care. Could the plugs not being gapped correctly cause this problem?? I know the wires arent causing the lighting now. I have had the missing since I owned the car and now it finally runs smooth and I can tell a big difference in performance.

What should I gap my plugs to??
Old 03-02-2007, 12:41 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i doubt it the gap, but gap them to .050.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:45 AM
89 fox
4th Gear Member

are you running a 6AL?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:47 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

something aint right and its not the plug gap...
Old 03-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Musclecoupe

If you hear a ticking noise comming from the coil you either dont have the coil wire plugged in all the way, or you have the wrong wire for that coil. If you see a light show in the dark comming from your plug wires you have a new set of bad wires.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:01 AM
sipynsyrup
2nd Gear Member

no 6al.. I dont have my 6a box connected. Only the msd dist., msd blaster coil, accel wires

I am lost.. dont know what the problem could be. The msd coil blaster is making a small noise, which it didnt make before with the other wire set. The old wires were in bad shape and tore in some places because of touching the exhaust.

Any suggestions?? The car runs good, but I really wouldnt know for sure because the car has had a small missing problem since I bought it(it got worse so I bought new plugs/wires)

The wires are firmly seated on the plugs. Dont the plugs come pre-gapped from autozone?? If that is so then there is no way that could be the problem.

I do have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator(bbk power-plus), but the fuel pressure gauge isnt hooked up and I dont know how to reconnect it.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:06 AM
sipynsyrup
2nd Gear Member

how could a brand new unopened box of wires be bad???

Also, there was a ford racing wire going from the dist. to the coil, which was replaced by a new one from the kit.

As I stated before.. You can BEARLY see the light. You have to look close and hard and off and on you will see a very small light that looks like it is shining behind the plugs..

I'll go check again right now..
Old 03-02-2007, 01:08 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

i got the motorcraft plugs and they come pre-gapped

go to a different store and buy some new plugs and if that dont fix it just return em

Quick Reply: is this a problem?