5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

checking clearances

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 11:02 PM
fordstroker
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: checking clearances

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

ORIGINAL: fordstroker

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

plastigage. You can find it at autozone and other parts stores.
would that be the same kinda stuff you can use to clay the pistons? or is that to measure something else?
its to measure main and rod bearing clearances, BUT this is a prime example of why you among MANY others on this forum should not be giving advice. Your telling guys what are the "best" heads and have no clue whatsoever what plastigage is, which is the most basic tool for engine building. If you do not have direct hands on experience then you really should not be giving advice. This place cracks me up.
mmmk. Since when does measuring bearings have anything to do with what makes a good head? Obviously I'm agreeing with the majority of the people here so I'm probably not wrong. I was not giving advice, i was giving my opinion.
your agreeing with the majority who dont have any actual facts, and have not experienced several different heads and done R&D, its just silly.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:09 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

don't criticize people there here to learn and since u have more experience inform us thats why were here
Old 03-02-2007, 11:20 PM
fordstroker
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

don't criticize people there here to learn and since u have more experience inform us thats why were here
I left this place 6 months ago, popping back in to see if it's any different. It's no different, still tons and tons of regurgitated info that's totally wrong. My only question is this, if you do not have direct hands on experience, how can you give advice? Wether it's which tire to run, what head, what intake, what camshaft etc.. Guys are looking for help, I would assume they are looking for factual help, not silly nonsense from the useless magazines. Maybe I assume too much.

Then when you tell a guy the actual facts you get 5 guys that are totally clueless telling you you're wrong, it's mind boggling and people get pissy with me for being blunt. You will see I give no info unless I have used and abused it. You won't find me in grabbem88's PMS thread, reason is cause I have not used it. I have read about it, but I have no actual hands on, so my comments are useless. Capiche' lol
Old 03-02-2007, 11:54 PM
stocksuspension
2nd Gear Member

use a micrometer and a telescoping gauge
Old 03-03-2007, 12:25 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I left this place 6 months ago, popping back in to see if it's any different. It's no different, still tons and tons of regurgitated info that's totally wrong. My only question is this, if you do not have direct hands on experience, how can you give advice? Wether it's which tire to run, what head, what intake, what camshaft etc.. Guys are looking for help, I would assume they are looking for factual help, not silly nonsense from the useless magazines. Maybe I assume too much.

Then when you tell a guy the actual facts you get 5 guys that are totally clueless telling you you're wrong, it's mind boggling and people get pissy with me for being blunt. You will see I give no info unless I have used and abused it. You won't find me in grabbem88's PMS thread, reason is cause I have not used it. I have read about it, but I have no actual hands on, so my comments are useless. Capiche' lol
I've used plasti-gauge to checking bearingclearances on two motors, it may not be the best, but it servies it's purpose. In suppose in your mind though that's alsonot hands on experience as well as looking at other people's dyno results. If you know of something better to use (which I'm sure that there is something better out there), give constructive criticism and don't just shootall the commentsdown. I'm going to assume (which you have done a lot of lately)that you have run every head, tire, cam, intake, etc. and you are just a walking talking exactly correctresource guide? For the record, I can't remember the last time I have even picked up a magazine.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:54 AM
fordstroker
I ♥ Acer

I've used plasti-gauge to checking bearingclearances on two motors, it may not be the best, but it servies it's purpose. In suppose in your mind though that's alsonot hands on experience as well as looking at other people's dyno results. If you know of something better to use (which I'm sure that there is something better out there), give constructive criticism and don't just shootall the commentsdown. I'm going to assume (which you have done a lot of lately)that you have run every head, tire, cam, intake, etc. and you are just a walking talking exactly correctresource guide? For the record, I can't remember the last time I have even picked up a magazine.
Might want to read my inital post above, and the question was answered by another member, inside and outside mics are the best. Outside mic reads xxxx amount, inside mic reads yyyyy amount, subtract the 2 and you have your true actual clearances. Like I said plastigage works for the 350hp motors, BUT cannot read if there is taper on the rod or main journals, which alot of times there is. So a guy spins a bearing and doesnt think twice before hauling off on the parts supplier etc.. when in fact he was the one that missed the problem assembling the motor. Since 1989 I have used damn near every head that has hit the aftermarket, all the intakes etc.. I have an extensive hands on experience. Alas you wont find me in any threads I have not had hands on experience with, why? To hear myself talk. No Thanks
Old 03-03-2007, 01:03 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

What do you use to see if there is taper? Just mic a few different spots on the journal? I've used the mic and telescope methodon a few small engines, but the large engines that I was dissasembling and reassembling weren't really even worth the cost of the plasti-gage if you catch my drift.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:06 AM
fordstroker
I ♥ Acer

What do you use to see if there is taper? Just mic a few different spots on the journal? I've used the mic and telescope methodon a few small engines, but the large engines that I was dissasembling and reassembling weren't really even worth the cost of the plasti-gage if you catch my drift.
Ya I will take atleast 4-5 different readings on each crank journal and the mains and get an average of where I stand. With the plastigage its great for standard type stuff, it just can get unreliable and it does get hard, if you get some thats been on the parts shelf for a long time, it doesnt compress as well and now your scratching your head cause you believe you have very loose bearing clearances. [:@] When that may not be the case at all.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:09 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

would that be the same kinda stuff you can use to clay the pistons? or is that to measure something else?
its to measure main and rod bearing clearances, BUT this is a prime example of why you among MANY others on this forum should not be giving advice. Your telling guys what are the "best" heads and have no clue whatsoever what plastigage is, which is the most basic tool for engine building. If you do not have direct hands on experience then you really should not be giving advice. This place cracks me up.
mmmk. Since when does measuring bearings have anything to do with what makes a good head? Obviously I'm agreeing with the majority of the people here so I'm probably not wrong. I was not giving advice, i was giving my opinion.
your agreeing with the majority who dont have any actual facts, and have not experienced several different heads and done R&D, its just silly.
you can still have an opinion... different people like different things.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:28 AM
fordstroker
I ♥ Acer

you can still have an opinion... different people like different things.
Problem is this place is an AFR love fest from 75% of people that have never used an AFR, lol. On the flipside afr heads are great pieces, but to make blanket statements is well... you know my thoughts. Carry on.

Quick Reply: checking clearances