Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-03-2007, 01:26 AM   #1
Boosted5.slow
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1989 Mustang GT
Default alternator

alright on my 89 5.0 the alternator guage in the dash doesnt want to move.stays right abouve the red but below the middle line. i went out and strated it my head lighs are still bright no problems with anything. the other day i noticed the guage danceing a little bit. could this just be a guage or something else. i know im not really giveing you much but im at home and have no tools here not even a multimeter just looking for best guess.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 03-03-2007, 01:54 AM   #2
94ford5liter
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra
Send a message via AIM to 94ford5liter
Default RE: alternator

if the gauge is going up and down, could be a couple of things, but kind of need more details. Could be your battery cable ends are bad and need to be replaced, they also could be lose. You could also have a loose ground, or if you have underdrive pullies, that will make it go up and down as well.
Afr 165s, F303 (too big), full exhaust, tko 600, rebuilt 306 with DSS level 10 block, TFS Street manifold, 3.73s, 31 spline axles, ford racing 31 spline t-lok w/ carbon fiber discs, mm sub-frame connectors, UPR lower control arms, steeda strut tower brace, and lots of other stuff.

1994 mustang gt -
Home ported stock lower manifold, and rebuilt stock heads.

94ford5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
sastangman
2nd Gear Member

which alt do you have on the car stock or
130 amp??
4:10 gears,aluminum driveshaft,93'cobra tranny
msd 6al,msd blaster,msd pro billet distributor
comp cam 286hr .598 lift, fidanza alumi flywheel
sastangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:02 AM   #4
Boosted5.slow
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1989 Mustang GT

the alternator someone has replace the alternator with an autolight still looks kinda new battery cables good. no underdrive pulleys i have paxton sc
Old 03-03-2007, 03:36 AM   #5
Li0nHart
3rd Gear Member

diodes....do your lights fliker at night a bit when just idleing the car?
I do appreciate everyone being civil...it makes things much more enjoyable...also, I may not be able to answer every question/observation/comment posed to me as I am only one person and have a job/family so I hope you understand. I will not use this as an excuse to skip over something though. If it is important and I haven't addressed it already...I will do my best to get to it.

I will be ignoring posts/comments that are rude and derogatory in nature.
Li0nHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:52 AM   #6
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Vehicle: 1989 Ford Mustang

maybe voltage regulator, mine went out. but when i replace alt it still dances around still between the line just below the middle and the line just above the middle depending if its under a load it goes up or if i turn on my lights or heater it goes down a lil bit. it doesnt jump eratically but it does move promptly when i do something is this bad?
FivePointOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:52 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement