5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Recharging ac question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 08:51 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default Recharging ac question

I want to find out what I need to do when I recharge my ac, I am going to go to r134. I hooked up the compressor wiring, turn the switch on, checked the fuse (it was good) and the clutch never engaged, I wanted to see if the clutch and compressor are good, there is no refrigerant in the system yet. Is there a pressure switch that I need to loop together when I start adding my r134, or will the clutch start working when I add the refridgerant.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:24 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Recharging ac question

ORIGINAL: tmajikman

I want to find out what I need to do when I recharge my ac, I am going to go to r134. I hooked up the compressor wiring, turn the switch on, checked the fuse (it was good) and the clutch never engaged, I wanted to see if the clutch and compressor are good, there is no refrigerant in the system yet. Is there a pressure switch that I need to loop together when I start adding my r134, or will the clutch start working when I add the refridgerant.
Yes to both.

I would not convert it though. You can buy an excellent r-12 subtitute called freeze 12. Works just as well as the oe stuff, yet no conversion needed. can be purchased off e-bay.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:36 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

so, do I disconnect the pressure switch near the right rear of the engine bay and just out the loop in line then start the car turn the ac on after I havr the refrigerant ready to go into the the hi or low side. The freeze 12, is it as pricey as r12, thnaks for all your help Pro. It has been a while since I have worked on the ac of a fox
Old 03-05-2007, 10:37 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

make sure if youopened the system or its been empty for a while evacuate the system of moister and install some pag oil before you add freon
Old 03-05-2007, 10:58 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

I've never upened it myself, do I add the oil just like I do the freon, and how much.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:02 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

add it jsut on low side only add a few onces it should be in a shop manual if u have one
Old 03-05-2007, 11:02 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Im pretty sure you add the oil like you would add dye. Im really rusty on my a/c **** right now, but I would not try to get the compressor kicking on with nothing in the system. It should have a built in fail safe to kick it on just enough to get oil flowing thru so it doesnt burn itself up...but without enough R12 it shouldnt turn on at all..(unless to kick some oil around for a quick second)
Old 03-05-2007, 11:14 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Make sure there is oil in it. You can jump the low pressure switch breifly to see if the compressor triggers. No freon is needed fopr that. Just don't run it more than a few seconds. The freon is what circulates the oil. The freeze 12 is nowhere near the cost of r-12.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FREEZ...89550965QQrdZ1
Old 03-05-2007, 11:30 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Thanks alot everyone, it been around 5 years since I have messed with the ac system, I wanted to make sure that I did not fry any of the components, including the compressor... Thanks for the link Pro, I have it saved and I will get that ordered
Old 03-05-2007, 11:33 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

G/L, keep us updated!!

Quick Reply: Recharging ac question