5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Clutch cable problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 09:13 PM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

Default Clutch cable problems

So, my clutch cable randomly gave out on me a week or two ago and i had to have it replaced. I took the car to the shop and had it replaced with a stock spec one from orielys, but the plastic covering on that one split that same day. So i ordered a BBK heavy duty clutch cable and had it installed. As soon as i drove it, the clutch felt like it had alot more drag on it. Its an aftermarket clutch i know, though i dont know what kind, but it now seems like you have to push rediculously hard to get it to move. And then today it started acting even wierder. When i drove it home just now, the pedal felt like it had notches when you pressed it in. Its kind of hard to explain, but it was like you would hit resisatance every so often when you pushed it in. The clutch didnt travel smoothly, it traveled in what felt like, for lack of a better word, knotches. Also, when the guy at the shop i took it to installed the cable, be said that no matter how far he adjusted the rod that is supposed to change where the clutch disengages either direction, he couldnt get the engagement point to be further than a centimeter or two from when the clutch was all the way out. Do you think all these things are actual problems or just the charecteristics of a new clutch cable/a heavier clutch cables?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:01 AM
06VistaGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch cable problems

Check to see how the clutch cable is routed - notchiness leads me to believe it might be kinked. If that isn't it, trytaking the cable out and running some cable grease through the sleeve.As for the adjustment, it sounds like the cable is adjustable. You can get further adjustment by installing a firewall adjuster.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:06 AM
SuperSlow5.0

Default RE: Clutch cable problems

firewall adjusters r great! i have a bbk cable but it is starting to fray, donno y but it is bout 32 years old so im not complainin.