5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

motor mounts? which ones?

Old 03-05-2007, 09:45 PM
cobrakiller306
2nd Gear Member

Default motor mounts? which ones?

I am getting new motor mounts and a tranny mount, what is the difference and pros or cons of solid motor mounts and tranny mount, or the urethane mounts, the urethane ones are more expensive and i'd imagine there is a reason for that, but y?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:59 PM
bobbyward
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: motor mounts? which ones?

if its street solid ones will vibrate you to death
Old 03-05-2007, 11:02 PM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

If your going solid, you dont want both solid engine mounts and a solid trans mount. Im getting soilds and im gunna drive the car on the street.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Li0nHart
3rd Gear Member

you run solids...you are going to eventually fatigue the metal in your k-member and tranny cross member....if you run a solid tranny mount and rubber/uerathne motor mounts you are going to crack your bell hosing.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:13 PM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Li0nHart

you run solids...you are going to eventually fatigue the metal in your k-member and tranny cross member....if you run a solid tranny mount and rubber/uerathne motor mounts you are going to crack your bell hosing.
Eh, if that happens, itll give me an excuse to get a tubular k member.... But there are a lot of people on here that run solids without problems..
Old 03-05-2007, 11:26 PM
ModularFox
Banned

I dont understand why you keep saying that? I hope you have personal experience. in my opion you must be doing something wrong if your breaking your thickass k member. if their so bad why is that all thats used on 1000+ hp cars? wouldnt their k members fall right appart according to what your saying? There is nothing wrong with solid motor mounts, They have been in my car for 9 years now and have not had one problem yet.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:37 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redmustang83596
If your going solid, you dont want both solid engine mounts and a solid trans mount. Im getting soilds and im gunna drive the car on the street.
Very untrue, if you get solid motor mounts you want to have a solid trans mount. I used solid mounts on my 86 daily driver for a year. Never had any problem at all. With a stock cam there was no more vibration then what you get with poly's.

All of that is untrue. If the steel crossmembers fatigue and crack there going to do itwhether you run solids or rubbermounts. Also if you run a rubber motor mount and solid trans mount the casing of the actually transmission will crack around where the mount is.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:45 AM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

ORIGINAL: redmustang83596
Very untrue, if you get solid motor mounts you want to have a solid trans mount. I used solid mounts on my 86 daily driver for a year. Never had any problem at all. With a stock cam there was no more vibration then what you get with poly's.
Oh. well then im wrong, i have always been told you only want one or the other.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:00 AM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

I just ordered solid motor and tranny mounts. Ill hopfully have 600 to the wheels. and i think they are goign to be fine.. But hoenslty what is the purpose of a solid motor mount lol? i never really know my dad just told me to buy them ..
Old 03-06-2007, 02:26 AM
89 fox
4th Gear Member

i have em in my 89...love em...they give you the torque back that is absorbed from the motor with the rubber mounts. the motor moves less...which loses less torque.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: motor mounts? which ones?