5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:48 PM
BlazeGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Can it be done?

If i have a machine shop do all of the machining that needs to be done to my 351w block, would it be possible for me to do all of the assembly myself (408 stroker), considering this would be my first rebuild. I would be working slow as time is not important right now, i would also be willing to be very very careful, going step by step, reading all books necessary. With all of that considered, should i still not attempt it? Just wondering. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:56 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Can it be done?

if you have patience and all the measuring/specialty tools handy then its not that hard, lots of checking clearences
Old 03-08-2007, 12:59 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

you better get a couple sets of piston rings, cause i bet you'll break em trying to install pistons if its your first building an engine
Old 03-08-2007, 01:40 AM
BlazeGT
2nd Gear Member

I know this might be a ridiculus question, but does anyone have a list of all of the specialty tools? I know you need a bunch of measuring tools of different sizes, but if you have a specific list that would be great. And also, do you have any tips for installing the rings? Or do you have to learn the hard way? Thanks.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:45 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

use a ring expander tool for the rings,
Old 03-08-2007, 02:04 AM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

If it was just a stock rebuild, I'd say go for it. But if you've never done it before, I wouldn't recommend starting on a 408. You've probably put money into this and want some kind of performance out of it. You're probably not going to have the best knowledge of bearing tolerances and checking crank endplay, etc. Have your machinist build the shortblock at least. You can do everything else if you want. Putting on the topend and all the valvetrain will give plenty of oppurtunity to screw something up. LOL But I'd have a professional do the shortblock.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:12 AM
BlazeGT
2nd Gear Member

Alright i think i might have to go with the machine shop. Do any of you have an estimate on what that might cost? Also, FullAuto, could you get me a quote on a fully forged 408 kit? Id really appreciate it. I guess i can just rebuild the ole five oh when i pull that out and learn on that, that way if i screw up i should be ok.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:28 AM
ooticamitica
4th Gear Member

well if you really want to do it than yes, but if you are worried about messing a new engine up than i wouldnt, start small and work your way up maybe with a 4banger motor you ocould tear down and get the basic knowledge of engine building. just a suggestion.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:00 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

let the shop build the COMPLETE engine. you can install it . that would be a big job for starters. good luck.