5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Hey all couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:05 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Default Hey all couple questions

Hey hows eveyone doing. Let me start off saying i am/was the biggest chevy person. But now i have a 2001 f150 5.4 l I love. (siverados are girl trucks lmao P i think my truck is built alot better than a chev. I have boughta stock 86' stang gt love it also woops the sh** out mf my old camaro lol. But question is what should i do first to build her up. Ive heard these stangs run sick with bolt-ons. Hell mine runs sick stock lol. I picked her up for 600$ she needs a lil work but nothing major. Even being a chevy fan i always had respect for the f-series trucks/stangs. I not saying i thought ford was junk im just saying my partents (dad) brought me up chevy. I know chevy eazy to build up/ cheap also but we dont care about that. I went to the DARK side lol i have two fords i love.Basicly whatim asking is what are the first mods you wanna do to the 86' 5.0 to wake her up she has 70koriginal miles on her and from what i seen stockshe can do alot more .Any replys would help me a bunch and i plan on being a advid user here since i fell in live with my stang. on a side not i plan on new headers short of long i have no clue mabey you all can help out. I also am going to do a mass air flow conversion.We ghave no imissions here so cats are goning to be gone. aosl wanna drop her gear i want to to drive to wrok 4 miles no highway so 4.11 shouyld work out for me. 1 more thing she will be a weekend track car for fun. Any advice you can point me at would be helpful. Ty in advance. Expect alot more post from me lol. have a good one all.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:28 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hey all couple questions

Damn i posted this and 14 others had replies lol but this one lol . I realy wanna wake her up. i just would like to know the steps i should follow. Without wasting money on parts that do nothing. lol
Old 03-08-2007, 02:34 AM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/50must.htm

Good info on that site. Most people probably arent answering cuz they expect you to search for things first before posting.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:41 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

ahh i prolly shold have searched lol but im gitty bout my new stang lol thats y i asked strait up in forum
Old 03-08-2007, 02:45 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

+1

Check out that site. It will definetly keep you busy for a while. As for the gears, if its not a highway car and you plan on keeping it NA the 4.10's will be great... you wont be sorry! If you think your cars fast now, just wait until the gears lol its a whole new animal! Also, someone correct me if Im wrong but the 85's have E6's heads right? Alot of it depends on how much time/effort/cash you are willing to put into it. Wether you are building the car on a budget, etc. For a cheap budget build you can go w/ a ported GT-40 setup... that will yeild very nice powergains over stock. Spray a 150 shot on it and wahala! You have a low 400rwhp Mustang!

And as for the exhaust, LT's or shorties... thats something you are going to have to pick on your own. The debate can go on FOREVER which is better. Some people have this crazy idea that LT's will kill your low end bla bla but I have done alot of research and found this not to be true... along with personal experience. If you do loose any low end torque its nothing that you are going to feel... and w/ 4.10's you wont be in the rpm range that the LT's will lag anyway... thats even if they do. The LT's will gain more hp/tq throughout the board. Basically, I would say it depends on if you feel like doing the work or not because they are alot harder to install than a set of shorties. Im not saying shorties are a bad idea, because a decent set will handle more than the stock block can take... Im just saying that LT's usually produce more power. Its a personal opinion but I would go w/ LT's.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:47 AM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

Full exhaust, remove air silencer (Free, and get a K&N filter for like $50 or less), Adjust timing, Rear upper and lower control arms, sub frame connectors, adjustable shocks and struts, Electric Fan (Some will argue not adding HP, but it allows the motor to get into higher RPM's faster). Set of junk yard explorer GT-40 heads and intake (cheap good upgrade, Search the forum, there is tons of info on this modification). Get that stuff done and you will be doing well. And if you get the gears put in, might as well get the traction-loc rebuilt while you are in the diff. Good luck, but do search a little before asking, not trying to flame you to much, since you are new. And wait more then 15 mins for replies.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:50 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Nice ty for your imput. Im not realy going on a buget but am at the same time. I have heard the gt40 head will make a decent inprovement. What im looking for is this i wanna build her up i dont wanna throw on some parts when they are useless when i upgraded everything else. basicly im going for a 400- 500 rwhp car.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:54 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DIMMER

Nice ty for your imput. Im not realy going on a buget but am at the same time. I have heard the gt40 head will make a decent inprovement. What im looking for is this i wanna build her up i dont wanna throw on some parts when they are useless when i upgraded everything else. basicly im going for a 400- 500 rwhp car.
400-500rwhp NA.... not happening on a 302. Do you plan on charging it or using nitrous? Its definetly possible w/either of those. But plan for the future.... if you SERIOUSLY see yourself w/ a 400-500rwhp power adder car you might want to rethink your gear choice. You dont want to have to do stuff twice.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:56 AM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

Your going to need more than gt-40 heads for that. I would personally go with Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads, trick flow track heat intake, a vortech blower and a custom cam for your application. Definatly go 4.10 gears, and get a decent suspension setup. Your going to need fuel upgrades too, like injectors, fuel pump, AFPR.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:59 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

You can definetly pull low 400rwhp w/ a ported GT-40 setup and a 150 shot.

Quick Reply: Hey all couple questions