5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how to id a cobra

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 01:42 PM
house302
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: how to id a cobra

true 93 cobra will have cobra badges on the fenders and they will be facing opposite directions. + they will come with a certificate that has the number of the car on it.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:34 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

there were no Cobra's built in 2000, only the R
Old 03-10-2007, 08:06 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

There were also 2002 Cobras, just not sold in the US.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:25 PM
onemoreday21

If it came from the factory with the name cobra and it says cobra on the title then it is in fact an actual cobra. 1993 was the first year that SVT started making performane modifications to the mustang to make an SVT cobra. Anything earlier was not touched by SVT but is still in fact a cobra.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onemoreday21

If it came from the factory with the name cobra and it says cobra on the title then it is in fact an actual cobra. 1993 was the first year that SVT started making performane modifications to the mustang to make an SVT cobra. Anything earlier was not touched by SVT but is still in fact a cobra.
Whatever helps you guyssleep at night. Any person that has any clue about Mustangs is going to know how much of tools you peopleare by saying you have a "Cobra". That'sborderlineto a honda guy puttingType-R on his car and thinking its faster now.(Talking to all the people who areclaiming pre-93's are cobras)
Old 03-10-2007, 11:02 PM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

ORIGINAL: Scout2232

ORIGINAL: onemoreday21

Whatever helps you guyssleep at night. Any person that has any clue about Mustangs is going to know how much of tools you peopleare by saying you have a "Cobra". That'sborderlineto a honda guy puttingType-R on his car and thinking its faster now.(Talking to all the people who areclaiming pre-93's are cobras)
just because you dont want to think its a cobra doesnt make it less of one. ford calls them cobras, so how exactly can you rationalize NOT calling them that¿ and praytell, what exactly are these, if it is not a mustang cobra¿

hell, 78 had its share of cobras as well, but i spose just because YOU dont care for their appearance, they arent 'real' cobras either.

your honda comparison was retarded. note, that the FACTROY designated the cars as 'cobra,' so it is not at all like a guy putting type r on his car and thinking that it is faster. its like a honda guy going out and buying an old type r, back before they got all big.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

Uhh ok, but I was talking about the canadian Mustang GT's... And how they aren't "Cobras" They are just normal GT's.ie They're not special andthere is no collectability of them.

He was asking how to ID a cobra, I just told him that what he has isn't a cobra. Not to go off on this ridiculous tangent. When you hear the word cobra you either A. Think of shelby cobra or B. Think of SVT. I'm pretty sure he was asking if it was an SVT.

Thank you.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:21 PM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

and i wasnt typing at him, i was typing at all the people claiming that no such thing exsists as a mustang cobra before 93.

the op said that he had a 90, and on the titlte is said gt/cobra. once again, ford states that his car is a cobra. the information that he was after is the fact that canadian exports were marked as 'cobras'

so i ask you, scout, is his car a cobra¿ im not asking if it is a svt cobra, thats friggin obvious. what i want to know, is if he drives a gt cobra.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

If you wanna get that technical about it, then I reserve the right to call you a tool. That simple. Go to a cruise-in and tell all the mustang guys there that your car is a 90 cobra and listen to them laugh their asses off at you...
Old 03-10-2007, 11:35 PM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

sorry bud. any 'cruise' i go on(like this one) consits of a group of mustang enthusiasts. so they actually know the difference between a svt cobra and a cobra of earlier years. like it was posted much earlier in this thread, none of this is new information. this forum has seen its share of cobra discussions. go on a cruise with somebody with a 79 cobra and tell them that its not a cobra and watch EVERYBODY laugh at you. walk up to somebody that has a 83 cobra gt and tell them that they dont actually drive a cobra gt. EVERYBODY will laugh at you. am i a tool¿ ok. at least i know the differences between mustangs.

Quick Reply: how to id a cobra