5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

need help. hunting for idle and charging problem

Old 03-12-2007, 06:38 PM
tramotorsports

Default need help. hunting for idle and charging problem

I have an 87' 5.0 fox (non MAF). Will be installing a 70mm single turbo on it. Kit should be here at the beginning of april. The car was completely stock when we got it and ran perfectly. We decided to upgrade a few things on the car before we install the turbo kit and have it back together now trying to get it running right. Heres what we've done.

Full suspension.
M-2300 brake kit from ford
Flaming river Steering rack and shaft
UPR quadrant, adjuster, and cable
Battery relocation to trunk with Moroso on/off switch

Proffesional Products upper and lower intake
Proffesional Products 75mm TB and EGR plate
MSD Blaster 2 coil
MSD Pro-Billet Distributor
Ford racing plug wires
NGK TR6 plugs
BBK 255lph fuel pump

Aeromotive front half fuel kit (includes):
Aeromotive fuel rails
braided fuel lines
1:1 regulator

stock 19lbs injectors

were running March front brackets and tensioner relocator. the only things being driven on the front of the motor is the alternator and water pump. (no mechanical fan). brand new tensioner.

Timing is set at 10 degrees with the spout removed and the FPR is at 30psi with no vacuum.

problems:
This thing idles rough and hunts for idle very bad.
misses throughout the entire RPM range.
belt is slipping and squealing on the alternator.
voltage on dash gauge is reading right above the red area.

Now, this all changes when a battery charger is hooked up to the car. charger set to 12v@40 amps:
the idle gets a little better but still hunts badly.
no more missing and can rev WOT all the way to redline with no problems at all.
the squeaking goes away completely.
gauge voltage reads normal.

So after testing all of this. We go and buy a new alternator and battery since it was still running the factory ones.
we start the car up after installing this stuff and the car runs good for about 10 minutes and then starts squeaking and idleing rough and missing once again.
The factory replacement alternator is only 74amps. I'm kinda wondering if its strugling to charge the battery because it is located at the back of the car and is just unable to push all the way back there through the big wire. Does anyone think that going to a higher amp alternator and an optima red top or maybe even two batteries would fix my problems?

Not sure where to start with the idle hunting problem. Any ideas????

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.
If any pictures of the engine bay or any type of videos would help let me know and i can post them up.[/align]
Old 03-12-2007, 06:46 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: need help. hunting for idle and charging problem

Sounds liek a bad ground somewhere. Also, on non MAF cars, it will hunt for idle if your coolant is low. Pull the belt off and see if it still has a problem running off of just the battery. Obviously, dont run it too long or itll overheat. Ill think of some more stuff Im sure.
-P.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:18 PM
tramotorsports

Default RE: need help. hunting for idle and charging problem

i looked over all the wiring probably about 10 times already. lol. i'll try it again and see if i can come up with anything. coolant is definitely full and flowing. Say i pull the belt off and it keeps running. What does that tell me???

thanks