5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 03:16 AM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

Default weird problem

I took my stang out today and had a slight problem. I went to put some gas in the tank and after I filled it up I started my car and my fuel guage was reading the same thing it was reading before I filled up. I figured the needle was just sticking a little so I tapped it and the car just died.When I went to start it againit started right up and my guage went up to full and it never happened again the rest of the day. Could that mean that my pump is ready to go? Or do you think it was just a glitch in the relay or something like that? Any help would be appreciated,Thanxs
Old 03-14-2007, 03:28 AM
stang2race
1st Gear Member

Default RE: weird problem

I know this may sound wierd but it could have been a small chunk of ice that was frozen to your sending unit. When You filled up it broke loose clogged the fuel sock and killed the car. This depends on where you live to though.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:36 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

I'm not thinking that you have any major problems there, demon. I have a hard time drawing the parallel between tapping the gauge and the car dying, too. Not that you were going for that, but still.
I also wouldn't worry about the pump as such just yet. Not related to the gauge. If anything, you have two mutually exclusive problems, neither of which seem too serious on the surface.
1) faulty gauge reading. killing the car and starting it back up fixed the problem. Sounds electrical, and if I had to guess, I'll peg the sending unit first. But it may have been simply a stuck needle. Tapping it seemed to remedy your problem. I'd say don't panic unless it does it again. If it becomes a repeat problem, then I'd look at the sending unit first and check it's resistance and see if the ohms are factory spec. Once those go haywire and have the wrong level of resistance, the reading will be faulty. That's not a hard fix, either.

2) dying car. Need to know more. Are you carbureted? What type of ignition do you have? Were you good and warm? Is the car usually cold-natured? That could be a number of things. Lots of variables that could cause that problem. Give us some more details and we can probably help.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:41 AM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

Thanxs for the reply.That doesn't sound weird I've heard that before. I live in Wisconsin so that could happen. However I keep my car in my garage all year(winter) and it never see's snow. I'm just a little worried about this because it never happened before. Otherwise it's a very good runner! It's a 88 lx 5.0. When this happened the car was good and warm and as for my ignition I have a MSD blaster ignition,Accel coil,MSDdist. cap and rotor,MSD spark plug wires and NGK Iridium spark plugs. I know tapping the guage didn't make the car die it's just weird thatwhen I tapped the guage it died
Old 03-14-2007, 03:53 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

ORIGINAL: stang2race
I know this may sound wierd but it could have been a small chunk of ice that was frozen to your sending unit. When You filled up it broke loose clogged the fuel sock and killed the car. This depends on where you live to though.
absolute possibility. Lots of possible reasons for the car dying, and this one is more plausible than some others considering where you live and that the car had been setting with a less than full tank. Condensation may have built up leading to the situation s2r is talking about.

Don't think any of that is related to your gauge, either, unless the sending unit had some condensation on it as well, and happened to "thaw" in the same few moments. Things get some gas on them, warm up a little, dissolve a little, things get back to normal. Drive it a while and see if it pops back up. The guess here is that it won't. But if it does, we'll be here to help, that you can be sure of.

I for one think you're out of the woods. DRIVE THAT THING!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 04:07 AM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

Thank you for your help,groundpounder and s2r. I guess I won't worry about it unless it happens again. I wish I could "drive that thing" but there's more snow in the forcast. It was 60 degrees yesterday and tomorrow its supposed to get down to the lower 30's. THAT SUCKS!!! But thats Wisconsin for you if you don't like the whether wait 5 minutes it'll change
Old 03-14-2007, 04:14 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

ORIGINAL: BlueDemon
Thank you for your help,groundpounder and s2r. I guess I won't worry about it unless it happens again. I wish I could "drive that thing" but there's more snow in the forcast. It was 60 degrees yesterday and tomorrow its supposed to get down to the lower 30's. THAT SUCKS!!! But thats Wisconsin for you if you don't like the whether wait 5 minutes it'll change
I'm down with that shizz! IA's the same, bro!! Where in WI? I'm about three and a half hours from Onalaska/La Crosse.
You have GOT to send me a link or something for your avatar! That OWNS! HA!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:39 AM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

I'm from Hartford ,Wi--30miles north of Milwaukee. I love the Packers and I hate the Bears just as much as I hate Chevy's. If you don't mind--give me your E-mail and I'll send it directly to you. It has a quote that I couldn't get put on it that says"Rex Grossmans A-game" and it says"Just the start of the Packers reclaiming it's dominance over the Bears" because we beat--I'm sorry-- annihilated them on THEIR HOME FIELD!! the last game of the regular season
Old 03-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Jeff 86 GT
1st Gear Member

Are you talking about the Bears that didnt play any of their starters that game, the Bears that dominated the Packers earlier in the season when it mattered, and the same Bears that went to the Super Bowl. Where were the Packers in the playoffs????? LOL
Old 03-15-2007, 02:42 AM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

Oh yeah I forgot Rex Grossman,Brian Urlacher and othersthey aren't starters. Sorry my bad And as for the Packers not being in the playoffs or the Super Bowlthis year at least we get to the super bowl more than once in 25 years!!When the Bears (6 championships) get as many championships as the Packershave (12 championships) then you can start comparing the two teams

[IMG]local://upfiles/8760/F1F45552C0C0462A8B1BF5D750B0C35E.jpg[/IMG]