5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Anyone re-upholtered or changed foam in their front seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:59 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

Default Anyone re-upholtered or changed foam in their front seats?

I'm picking up a set of used seats and I'm going to be swapping the seat foam on the driver's seat and I wanted to find out if anyone has done this before. I don't expect that it would be too difficult to do, just time and being careful not to rip the seat skin. Every time I searched it didn't find anything.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:08 PM
jwmorgan

Default RE: Anyone re-upholtered or changed foam in their front seats?

I haven't reupholstered but i have recently removed the upholstery and foam from the driver's seat on my 93 GT Conv.I needed to weld up a crack in the seat frame causing me to drive like i could not sit straight. I did figure out a few things that may help you in your task.

Isplit the seat sections at the two hinge points on the sides. i also found it easier to get a few pieces out of my way, the ratchet assemble removes from the side of the seat with 2 bolts, and the one screw holding the plastic trim piece around the seat back release lever. With these items out of the way, you can easily get enough material working with you to undo the two part plastic "lock" and should then be at a point where you can actually see foam and the frame.

At this point I removed all of the "hog rings" I could get to and removed the two long heavier gauge steel rods that travel up into the seat upholstery. i started rolling the upholstery inside out towards the top of the seat and when i got to the area about shoulder level there was another steel bar "hog ringed" to the frame. I removed these and was able to get the upholstery turned completely inside out over the head rest and gently peeled the foam off of the frame (I had a few rust spots sticking the foam to the frame due to the convertible top being down in the rain on more than one ocassion over the last 14 years)

Now that the foam and upholstery is out of the way, I could see the lock that was preventing me from removing the headrest. I lifted this up a little to keep it from locking into the headrest post and was able to remove the headrest, i removed the seatbelt hanger before i got started but hadI waited until this point i could have gotten a better grip on the torx head screws.

I hope this helps, afterI completed my welding project, I pretty much reversed the process.

BTW, I did not remove the upholstery on the seat bottom but did check it out asI plan to recover these myself in the not too distant future now that I am a little more knowledgable. It doesn't appear to be any more complex than the back was.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:23 PM
93stallion302
3rd Gear Member

ive been tryin to reupholter and reoam my seats for a while and no one in my area will re foam them just reupholster and that still means a crappy flat seat that leans to the right.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:33 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, mine is leaning to the left so I can feel your pain. There is a company that sells new foam for the seats, not sure why an upholstery shop wouldn't do that.