5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

audio help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 08:31 PM
HuntMarsh
1st Gear Member

Default audio help!

i know this should go in the audio forum, but more people hang out here and i know i'd get a faster answer here. anyways, today my driver-side door speaker quit working. i have aftermarket polk's with the tweeter in the middle. the tweeter still works, but the actual speaker makes no noise at all. ivechecked and reset everything on the deck so i know the balance is not messed up. if i take my door apart today, what should be the first thing i should look for to fix this? or any other suggestions? maybe a fuse or something? thanks
Old 03-17-2007, 08:36 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: audio help!

try a different speaker and see if it works, the mid may be blown, it happens
Old 03-17-2007, 09:10 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

if it distorted too much from incorrect tuning aka too much bass then its prob blown.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:46 PM
notchback50
2nd Gear Member

if the speakers being shorted out from the posts touching the door metal that may cause it to work faulty. happened to me my speakers cut out cuz the posts broke and were touching the door.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:13 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

ya for whatever reason my speaker wires tend to come loose.

i have crimped and even tieed them down and they still find a way to come loose. only car ive had this problem with although i didnt wire this one, it was wired when i got it so who knows what lies beneath lol
Old 03-17-2007, 10:15 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

sound like you need a new speaker
Old 03-17-2007, 10:24 PM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

The mids will blow befor the tweeters cause the tweets have a lil resitor in wire with umm. that acts like a crossover in realation it blocks out any noices under a certain khz. Most distortation is in the low hz area there for the midrange is pushing the distortion. There for blowing it and not the tweet. Simple put buy a new speaker. I dont mean to sound to tech but i had a shop with a buddy that installed systems. ( i would get a pair of infinitys they sound great and dont need alot of power)
Old 03-18-2007, 04:12 AM
HuntMarsh
1st Gear Member

its very unlikely that this speaker has been blown. it'sa polk less than a month old.
TTT
Old 03-18-2007, 06:02 AM
89gtsleeper
2nd Gear Member

I would take the speaker out of that side, double check to make sure it is still plugged in correctly. If it is, but still not getting appropriate sound, temporarily hook the speaker up to the other sire of the car where everything is working fine. If you still get nothing, your speaker is done for. If it works while plugged into the other side, you either have a wiring problem between the stereo and that particular speaker, or a channel in the stereo itself is going out. The only way to testthis, is to trace that wire going to the malfunctioning speaker all the way back to the stereo and make sure everything is good, if so replace the cable and try again... if still not working, get a new stereo.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:18 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

probly burnt the voice coil on mid, just change out but to be sure before u replace hook wires to speaker up to a multi meter anh check it and this time if possible sauder the wires on to prevent any shorts or coming loose and be sure to select a speaker whos maxium rms power is higher than your radio power capability on that channel. the key is rms power not maximum wattage because it may say max is 75 watts and rms is 25w which means it will only hold 25w forthe life of the systemwith out damage.

Quick Reply: audio help!