5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what kind of car do i have?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:43 PM
daddiesgirl

Default what kind of car do i have?

I am confused as to what i have! In 1990 my dad andi went to Boone Ford in Olympia Washington and bought a 1990 mustang LX 5.0 off the lot (brand new). We were told by the sales man that it was a state ordered vehicle that was ordered 4 to many. So all these years we have thought this and have noticed some minor differences in it compaired to other 1990 model years. Just recently it has been minorly wrecked, but fixable, no matter what the insurance company says. because of this i need to know if the sales person rumors are true. I have went onto the ssp website to find out but i am more confussed. The site said if it was a ssp it should have 2 buck tags..mine only has one that i can see right off hand. The door sticker should have a 6 number dso...mine only has a 2 numer for delivery to seattle. Heres the kicker, it has the dual kit suspension in back which is only standard for ssp not 5.0. it has the 5.0 H.O SEFI. It has 2 piece speedo cable. It has NO electric anything which from what i read ssp had a delete option for power window,door and seats. So it is showing me that what i have is neither, stock 5.0 nor is it standard ssp. I need to try and find the value of the car for insurance purposes and i am so confused as to what to do. If it is ssp but didnt make it to the fleet for second buck tagging? i just dont know. but i know she is not showing a stock car....and i am not a car guru so i am only learning what i can off the internet but all of the engiine stuff that it asks me about i am oblivious too. I am merely a woman in need of some mustang knowledge or someone that is close to me that may be ssp knowledgable to come look at it for me. Thank you very much....Mia Hedman
Old 03-18-2007, 03:46 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: what kind of car do i have?

Find a private appraiser to look at the car.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:56 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

hell it might be one of those "only 1 oof 4 in existance" type of cars..... maybe worth some cash in years to come?
Old 03-18-2007, 03:59 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

i am assuming it is a notchback ? w/ a trunk ? not a hatch right

i think you may be right that if it didn't make the fleet, it might have the second tag, but the dso should be on 17 for washington ??

can you read the alternator ? it should have had a 160 amp pretty sure for ssp car

i don't know all the things to look for, but if it's the stock alt and it is bigger, you should be good

possibly try http://www.carfax.com

got any pics?

Old 03-18-2007, 04:15 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

check the paint code too, are you looking at dso #'s off the body tag or the door sticker ? do they match ? looks like washinton had 11 mustangs in 1990, and none after that year

have you checked this site right here ?

http://www.sspmustang.org/tech.htm
Old 03-18-2007, 04:59 PM
QatarStang
4th Gear Member

I'm interested to know about the origins of this car. Seems like its fairly rare.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:36 PM
daddiesgirl

Yes, it is a notchback..has a trunk.the dso # is 74 which i looked up is for seattle. the paint code is YO and it is the same on the buck tag and the door sticker. My dad has passed away 5 years ago, but i know pretty much everything that has happened with this car since he was a paraplegic i was the care taker of the car. my step dad has done all the engine maintenance on her and she has ( i think) all of the original parts. She is in really great shape still and i can call my step dad later when he gets home to ask him. I know he has a peechee that has all maintenance that he has done on everybodies cars. She is my baby and has been willed to me since my dad knew that i loved her as much as he did. She has a history of nothing but care and maintenance and this wreck has broken my heart. i have access to pretty much all information on it. i just have to search for it in tons of papers packed away from my dads estate. i kept it all and he was a stickler on keeping as much as he could of everything. yes i have pics of the outside one of them is a wrecked pic which is on here on my name. i dont know how to add pics. i could send pics via email i know how to do that though...so any help is appreciated...thanks
Old 03-18-2007, 05:40 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Post up some pics of this thing!!!
Old 03-18-2007, 06:00 PM
daddiesgirl

P.S. what does 5.0L V8 FI OHV mean? i mena i know that 5.0l is the liter of the engine...but what is the FI OHV part mean? this is what carfax says it is...but i cant pay the 20 bucks to see what the 9 things it says it has on it. I know there had been a couple recalls on it that we had taken to the ford garage and had fixed on it...i am not sure if that is some of the 9 things and of course now this wreck i was in. But the car has never had any problems ever so i dont know what they can be. so anyways if yo have any questions please ask...thanks
Old 03-18-2007, 06:02 PM
daddiesgirl

how do i add pictures of it?

Quick Reply: what kind of car do i have?