5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help! Lets play is it VALVES or LIFTERS! (vids)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:43 AM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Help! Lets play is it VALVES or LIFTERS! (vids)

I assume it is stock hyd rollers. I havent had the car long. I tried to press down on the rocker arms looking for a weak roller. But they all seamed firm.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:48 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

you'd have to rotate the motor some and try again, to make sure each rocker was all the way down when you checked.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:50 AM
highway21
2nd Gear Member

check preload?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:51 AM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

I may try it again tomorrow. But they are going to be comming out anyway. So I may not bother.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:54 AM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: highway21

check preload?
One seemed like it had too much preload. I wanted to check it all. But I dont have a roller bleeder lever thing, nor the correct size feeler gauge. So I bailed on the task.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:00 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

doesnt sound too good,
have you checked the header bolts for tightness lately?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

Well.... I got it all appart today. The heads looked fine. Valves from what I could see were okay'. But, I am quite sure that the one of the valve seals isnt perfect or I wouldnt me getting smoke from my breather. Now to the lifters. They look fine. But I think one may be stuck. Anyone know just how much pressure it takes to get them to give at all? Because there is no really noticable problems. I will be pulling out the cam tomorrow.[>:]
Old 03-19-2007, 10:27 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

But, I am quite sure that the one of the valve seals isnt perfect or I wouldnt me getting smoke from my breather.
sounds to me like blowby, which is from rings not valve seals. was it smoking (darker bluish smoke) after the car sat overnight or when you got on it? if not, valve seals are fine. of course if they havent been changed in a while its worth getting them done before they DO give you problems.

how many miles on the bottom end? can you catch your fingernail on the ridge at the top of the cylinders? if so its getting time for a rebuild
Old 03-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

Not a whole lot. 90k on it. Bottom end turns smooth and looks fine. I wont touch the bottem end. It would cost me more to rebuild it than it would to buy one rebuilt. I dunno'... I was hoping to see a clearer problem. Though I am thinkin' lifters. I'll see what the cam looks like soon enough. I may just replace it all while it is appart. But that is expensive.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:41 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

def. do a cam while your this far into it. MAKE SURE you keep the bottom end CLEAN when you reassemble or you'll be rebuilding the whole thing soon enough. gasket crap and grit likes to hide between the piston and the cylinder from the top of the piston to the first compression ring. if you got an air compressor, a blower nozzle is your best friend.

i'd take the heads in and get a valve job while they are off, you'll get your new seals and you'll be able to have them knock down the guides a bit and install those new springs you'll be wanting for your new cam

VJ with a resurface shouldnt be more than 250.00 (which is even high IMO) and they shouldnt charge jack shiat to knock the guides down. hell you can buy the tool from goodson and do it yourself with a 3.8 drill for like 65 bucks

Quick Reply: Help! Lets play is it VALVES or LIFTERS! (vids)