5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

modded but still guttless! why?

Old 03-19-2007, 01:48 AM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

Default modded but still guttless! why?

ive had my 93 fox gt for a year now and love the thing to death but there are a few things that dont make sence to me.

first are the mods (gt40 upper and lower intake, msd 6a, accel, msd 8.5 wires, cai, FULL exaust, all chassis stiffiners and FRPP B springs, roller rockers, and #24 injectors, 70mm tb. and an "i love *****" sticker. haha) with those mods it still comes close to my friends 99% stock 87 fox with 200,000 miles on it. WTF

second, i was changing the spark plugs so i went to autozone to get new ones and i got autolites for STOCK 93 5.0 heads, took em home and they did not fit! i took them back and the guy asked me if i have stock heads and as far as i know i DID or at least untill now. haha. the plugs that fit are autolite 764s.

the heads i have look like they would be stock, they dont have the aluminum look like AFRs or anyothers of that nature. a mechanic even said the looks stock.

with all the bolt-ons why is the car still in range (power wise) of a stock 5.0??? AND does anyone know what heads take those autolites 764s??? because now i cant get different plugs with out knowing what type of heads are on there!!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:59 AM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: modded but still guttless! why?

ORIGINAL: vtecwho

ive had my 93 fox gt for a year now and love the thing to death but there are a few things that dont make sence to me.

first are the mods (gt40 upper and lower intake, msd 6a, accel, msd 8.5 wires, cai, FULL exaust, all chassis stiffiners and FRPP B springs, roller rockers, and #24 injectors, 70mm tb. and an "i love *****" sticker. haha) with those mods it still comes close to my friends 99% stock 87 fox with 200,000 miles on it. WTF

second, i was changing the spark plugs so i went to autozone to get new ones and i got autolites for STOCK 93 5.0 heads, took em home and they did not fit! i took them back and the guy asked me if i have stock heads and as far as i know i DID or at least untill now. haha. the plugs that fit are autolite 764s.

the heads i have look like they would be stock, they dont have the aluminum look like AFRs or anyothers of that nature. a mechanic even said the looks stock.

with all the bolt-ons why is the car still in range (power wise) of a stock 5.0??? AND does anyone know what heads take those autolites 764s??? because now i cant get different plugs with out knowing what type of heads are on there!!
i bet thats youre problem right there, and also. is youre car a stick or an auto, that will make a big difference. if you have a stock auto tranny and youre buddy has a 5 speed then i can see with the little modding you have how it might be faster.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:05 AM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

both cars are stick. would the 24 injectors really do that?? unfortunatly the guy i bought my car from got it from his bro who did all the work. so he did not know anything about the car when i bought it from him. i keep finding more and more things about the car every time i work on it... nothing bad just things like the heads that i talked about earleyer.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:07 AM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

if the maf is calibrated for 19lbers then yeah it would be really doggy.. wich.. is kinda an understatement.

also, i all depends on the driver mod.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:11 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Since you don't have a MAF sensor that's calibrated for the those 24 lb injectors, I can see why your car runs like ****. Get some real modifications on it and let us know how it runs, bolt ons are worthless when you are N/A or have the stock heads.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:20 AM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

even from a roll the car seems to be a bit faster than stock and since i have 40 or so passes at the local strip i have an idea of how to drive. and thats the thing i dont know if the MAF is calibrated for the 24s. it maybe right now i dont know.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:44 AM
Chitown racer
2nd Gear Member

First thing you need to do is get ahold of the guy who did the work on the car and find out what all has been done to it. Once you know for sure what your working with you'll be able to plan your next move.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:17 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vtecwho

even from a roll the car seems to be a bit faster than stock and since i have 40 or so passes at the local strip i have an idea of how to drive. and thats the thing i dont know if the MAF is calibrated for the 24s. it maybe right now i dont know.
If you can't get a hold of the PO, then all you can do is start comparing part numbers, and pull the codes from the ECU.

Pulling the codes should always be step 1 when you think there is a problem.

What part numbers/brands are on the MAF tube/sensor?

jason
Old 03-19-2007, 07:35 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

my MAF number is F1ZF-12B579-AAAFH55-03B it says its ford.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:12 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

the spark plugs didnt fit as in the ones you needed were bigger? you might have a set of late 60 early 70's windsor heads on it I know my 69 winsor heads have HUGE spark plugs compared to the 5.0 in the 82 I had

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: modded but still guttless! why?