5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

It's official. Swapping heads and intake back

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:10 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default It's official. Swapping heads and intake back

Well now that I got my heads, intake, and camshaft in my 95 GT, I've decided that it's not the route I wanna go with this car, lol. In order to keep them on the car, I'll have to upgrade both my MAF (as expected), the fuel pump, and the injectors. In the end, i really don't wanna dump all that extra money into an SN95 vert.

I did some WOT runs while tuning it. After I reviewed the datalogs, I saw that the MAF was pegging at 4.995v and the injector DC was around 95%. This wasn't a problem with the stock heads and intake. I have been thnking about it for awhile, but I have finally made my decision...and as I post this, the changes have already begun. By this time tomorrow, I should have the old heads and intake back on the SN95. I'll keep the cam and the injectors in there though.

I'm going to buy an old fox i saw on Craigslist here (posted about it here not too long ago.) After that, my GT40 heads and Explorer intake will go in the fox coupe. Again, I won't bother removing the cam because I'd want a different cam for the fox anyway. A NX wet kit will be put in and I may buy an old Paxton Novi 1000 for $1000 from the friend that owns the shop with the dyno here. I will most likely also get a set of 30# injectors with acalibrated MAF for $200 from the same guy. Toss some gears in there and some suspension work and I should have the entire project completed for under $4,000. Which isn't too bad, considering I have some money saved from a big tax return, plus some great overtime from the past few months.

Now I wish I didn't just spend $3,000 to go to the western caribbean on a 12 day cruise, LoL. Would have had more money to dump into my new project! But at least I ahd fun on vacation (just got back Thursday.)

But anyway, that's my position. I'm bumping my nitrous jets back up to 100, putting my old heads back on, putting my old intake back on, leaving th camshaft in, and leaving the injectors in. But when all is said and done, my SN95 will be back to about 430 RWHP on spray and hopefully I can get the fox up to 500 and really push the limits of the block. Of course, I could also get that 351 I posted here for an additional $800. But lets cross that bridge when I get there. I already have one spare 302 block just in case that may be stroked to 347 anyway.

Just figured I'd give some people an update. I think I went bit too far with the sleeper SN95 convertible... But now I have a chance to get a true strip car that I can beat the hell out of and have fun with without having to worry about crashing it, insurance, etc. So I have to jump at this opportunity while it's still there.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:13 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: It's official. Swapping heads and intake back

Oh, and the summit shorty headers are staying on the SN95 too
Old 03-26-2007, 10:27 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Sam... Do you still have your stock headers?

I might need to take them off your hands for my friends 351 LTD project
Old 03-26-2007, 10:38 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

You mean someone would actually want crappy stock headers off an SN95? When I was removing my EGR, I was just gonna cap off the hole on the stock headers, but I elected to swap headers while I was at it.

But if you really want them, then yeah I got them. Gota set from my 95GT and got a set from the 96 Explorer engine. You can have them both if you want. Gotta warn you though, I never actually removed the large bolt that attaches the EGR because it was on there too hard. I just cut the EGR tube off to remove it quicker, lol.

But if you have patience, toolsm and a lot of PB blaster you can soak the hell out of it and it should eventually come off.

You can have either one (or both sets) for free. Either pay for the shipping, or I can meet up with you next time in in NH at Epping, or possibly MA or RI. Too bad though.. I was just in NY coming back from my cruise and drove right through RI... If I had known, could have brought them in the car with me.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:14 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

wow i dont think i've ever heard of someone wanting less power in a mustang, if you dont end up using those heads and intake on another car i'll take em
Old 03-26-2007, 11:30 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

It's not like I am dropping it back to stock form, lol. I just didn't want to completely overhaul my convertible to make it work. If i drop it back to what it was before, then I still get 430 RWHP on teh spray, 320 without it.

But if I leave the the way it is now with the new H/C/I, then I have learned that I need to upgrade the MAF, upgrade injectors (again), bump the fuel pump (most likely), get a tougher tranny (again) as it probably won't be able to handle it, bigger fuel rails, bigger TB, reduce nitrous jets and recalibrate it, and hope that I don't put too much HP on a stock block. And in the end it will be a pain in th *** to run at the strip because it's a vert. So I have to show them that the blowdown is attached properly (for teh nitrous), that the bolt on cage will pass, that I have a cutoff for teh battey in the trunk, etc... Basically it's just too much of a hassle to run a vert at the track. I'd rather have a street car and a strip car.

I would have much more fun dumping all hat stuff into an old fox I found for cheap. And it's a coupe so it's less of a hassle. Not to mention I won't car too much about it because I know that I bought it to beat on it. I don't care about scratches, paint, dings, etc... just a 100%, non-inspected strip car
Old 03-26-2007, 11:35 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

oh i see what you mean

haha, also not too many people running 10's in verts
Old 03-26-2007, 11:43 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Not sure I'd even break into 10's with the new setup. I'd probably need another 100HP or so to be comfortable there. And that would mean new block among other things. I was happy with mid 11s, lol. only problem was the fact that I redlined at about 120 or so MPH in 3rd gear in an AODE. Coulda solved that issue with bigger tires... but then again, how often would that ever be an issue for me, lol.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:44 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

redline at 120! what the hell are you runnin for gears?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:46 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

are trhe heads gt40p's? or just gt40's?

Quick Reply: It's official. Swapping heads and intake back