5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how and where

Old 03-31-2007, 10:07 PM
jerrylee01
2nd Gear Member

Default how and where

have 5 speed in my 85 conv and is there a way to check fluid in tranny and if low what kind oil put in it and how much does it take. i had a 86 few years ago and someone had gear oil in that i dont know if thats right or not so if can help me here thanks
Old 03-31-2007, 11:45 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Default RE: how and where

Theres a plug on the right side of the transmission (lower plug is drain, upper is fill). It should be right at to just below the threads of the plug. If its low you should just drain it and fill it with just under 3 quarts of a good transmission fluid. ATF or a Synthetic works fine.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:38 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I get the car level, pull the top plug and fill until it leaks out, then its full. I like royal purple synchro tech, but ATF works as well, no engine oil, its not a Honda. Sythetic is best onl;y 3 quarts, don't be cheap
Old 04-01-2007, 01:43 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

drain it and refill it w/ good stuff

synthetic ATF , 2 3/4 qts actually , you can drain it from the bottom plug, then fill it through the shifter if you feel like pulling out, otherwise you need a pump to pump it into the fill hole in the trans
Old 04-01-2007, 01:50 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

it will be the top plug as stated above, it will be a 3/8 drive fitting, and take 2 1/2 quarts of dextron II or its equvelant. have something ready to catch excess fluid in because the only way to know its full is when it starts running out the side. the easiest way to fill is to run a hose from the fill hole up the right hand side of the header or manifold to the engine compartment and fill from under the hood with a funnel inserted in the hose, otherwise your gonna have to get a filler tube that fits oneach bottle and they are messy as hell. i would also check the upper left side ofyour tranny and get the number offf the tag because not all t-5 transmissions take atf, some take gear oil.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:41 AM
jerrylee01
2nd Gear Member

hmmm ok will that tag say t-5 on it and to the guy above i know its not a honda lol hell with honda's i hate em im jus a ford or chevy guy but now sticking to fords cause always blow chevy engines been through to damn many of em now im on it with ford mustangs. so ya if it wont hurt i will use synthetic if you guys think that will be better for it i dont even know if it is low or not i figured car been setting 3 years in weeds and figured be good idea to change it . and is clutch in car adjustable if so where do that at sliped on me little when tryed to power brake it
Old 04-01-2007, 03:27 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

the tag wont say t-5 , you will have to look on the upper left rear corner just before the tranny tappers down, it will be an aluminium tag under the upper left most bolt. it will read something like this xx-xxx-xxxx x=numbersand these will be in the top left corner of the tag and on the bottom left will be another sequence which mine is m-7003-x and the x is the tranny designation spec. mine is a aftermarket motorsport tranny with upgrades. JUST REMEMBER TO CHECK BECAUSE NOT ALL T-5 TRANNYS TAKE ATF FLUID YOURS MAY TAKE A SPECIFIED GEAR OIL!!!!! when you get the tag just punch in "t-5 transmission id chart" on a search engine and go to one to see what yours requires. as for the clutch the adjustment is made by pulling up on the clutch with your foot until you feel it click and if it still slips your probably looking at replacing the clutch set and atleast turning the fly wheel if your not gonna replace it. im currently doing this to mine and you will have to pull the tranny for that and i can help you out there also.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:40 AM
jerrylee01
2nd Gear Member

ok thanks man im gonna jack car up tomorrow and crawl under it and see what says might just drain it while under there and im sure once drain that will tell me whats in it or what was in it any ways cause theres hell of a difference in gear oil and atf lol
Old 04-01-2007, 03:48 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

yea, just dont rely on the color because i run b&m trick shift in mine and its alight blue going in and almost black when drained. if you know its stock tell me now what year your stang is and i can tell ya what it takes.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:52 AM
jerrylee01
2nd Gear Member

85 gt vert and ya im sure it is all stock

Search this Thread