5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fuel pump issues possibly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 02:05 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Default Fuel pump issues possibly?

Ok, the other day while cleaning up my wiring mess under my dash, a wire that had been twist tied with no tape on it came loose and touched the metal frame of the dash. Upon doing this, it burnt up a section of wire. The wire was a small yellow wire (I was thinking ignition) but when I traced it down it is connected to a small gauge black/orange wire. Upon searching my wiring diagram, I found two possibilities of what it could be. That wire splits into two wires, one running power to the fuel pump, and the other running some power to the ignition coil. I've got an aftermarket Accel coil on the car, and the wiring is in tact on this. Since this wire ran into the interior, I am kind of thinking fuel pump. The car wouldn't start when this wire came undone, but now I can't seem to find the other end of it to reconnect a new piece of wire (crimped and heatshrinked this time though).

Anyone got any ideas if this wire might be in fact the fuel pump wire? It's in the main harness that runs into the car. It shows it going into the fuel pump relay, but I dont even know if this car has a relay considering it is a 351W carb conversion. So I know it has to be a mechanical pump in the tank instead of an electric.

Here's a diagram.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48957/1DAE8D9C88C04F2AAB13D3902E14C7B4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel pump issues possibly?

Find the other end of the wire and take care of it. Check in the kick panel or under the console. If Its always a good idea to know where all the wires are and what they are/were for. A wire burned up isnt good soi have to wonder if there is even a fuse on it. If there was the fuse should blow before the wire burns, thats what the fuse is for. Could be a fuseable link to which are sometimes in the main harness under the hood but im not sure how stuffs arranged in an 87.

Fuel pump relay i think is under the drivers seat. Wont know what that wire is for until you find the other end and trace it back to whatever its runnin.

I never heard of a mechanical pump in the tank, only electric. Curious...is there a fuel pump on the block? If there is that wire may be ignition related and not fuel.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:26 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

deleted
Old 04-01-2007, 04:33 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

um, you need a mechanical pump in the block, you cant use a fuel injected pump with a carb setup, follow your fuel lines and see if theres a pump inline with the fuel lines.

there is no in tank pump for a carb setup that I know of
Old 04-01-2007, 05:13 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

well from what i can/cant find, it has to have an electric in take pump on it. No mechanical pump on the block at all
Old 04-01-2007, 05:28 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Rule #1 when working on your wiring... UNHOOK THE BATTERY!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 06:09 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

I had the battery unhooked. It was after buttoning everything back up that I reconnected the battery to start the car. THAT is when it happened. I could not see that the wire was not shielded or connected. I had to get way up under the dash to find it. But yes, I ALWAYS unhook the battery when I'm working on it. Matter of fact, the battery is never hooked up unless I am about to start the car.

On a side note, I did find a mechanical fuel pump, so it is correct as far as that goes. But now I dunno where to look since I cant find that black/orange wire inside the car anywhere.