Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-15-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
Pony 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 GT
Default Bad injector?

Here's a problem that is new to me. I changed my spark plugs yesterday and 7 of the plugs came out nice and dry with a slight tan tint. The 8th one from cylinder number 4 was black on one side of the electrode with a tar like residue on it. I am assuming that cylinder is running rich as it hadsometimes smelled like raw fuel during startup around cylinder 4. The injectors are 24lb Ford blue tops I had purchased new and have approximately 5,000 miles on them. I would appreciate any input.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
GT40X B-cam, Systemax II, PP 70mm TB, ProM-80@24#, 1.6rr/1.7rr, 2-1/2" BBK LT & o/r X-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 255, Accufab fpr, UPR subs/uppers/lowers, Battle Boxes, Baer, Eibach, Tokico, Ford truck 3.55 w/ Moser 31's, deep pit to throw money into.
Pony 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Bad injector?

Could be a bad or weak plug. Check your wires also, ohm them out if necessary. Check your dist. cap for cracks or corroded terminals. Also could be a valve seal leaking into the cyl, or worn rings. Do a compression check and see if that cyl. is close to the same pressure as the others.Does the car smoke at all? This could be a symptom of seal or ring problems.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
NYMustang50
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1993 Ford Mustang Notch
Send a message via AIM to NYMustang50

Did you get the a new mass air for the 24 lb injectors. That the only thing I could think of because it might be the beginning of fuel wash.

http://listangs.com/ Long Island Stangs
NYMustang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Pony 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 GT

Here's where it becomes confusing to me. The engine is a relatively new GT40 crate motor (7,000 miles) and I have just done a tune up. That's when I found the unhappy plug. I am running a Pro M-80mm calibrated for the injectors and after having a few dog mass air meters, I can tell you this is the absolutely smoothest running meter I have had since stock. For some reason that particular cylinder is running rich as I am able to smell raw fuel at times right by the passenger side firewall (no. 4 cylinder). Has anyone ever had a bad injector and if so, please share the symptoms with me.
GT40X B-cam, Systemax II, PP 70mm TB, ProM-80@24#, 1.6rr/1.7rr, 2-1/2" BBK LT & o/r X-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 255, Accufab fpr, UPR subs/uppers/lowers, Battle Boxes, Baer, Eibach, Tokico, Ford truck 3.55 w/ Moser 31's, deep pit to throw money into.
Pony 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:58 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1995, 50, 90, bad, ford, fox, gt, injector, injectors, mustang, sign, signs, sn95, symptom, symptoms