5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fuel Pump won't turn on. HELP PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 05:00 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Pump won't turn on. HELP PLEASE!!!

i had same problem... but for me i had a short where the relay plugs into.... the one on the right passenger side kick pannel
Old 12-02-2004, 01:21 PM
89MustangMan
1st Gear Member

ok, i just tested the wires under the drivers seat with the key in the on position and the relay in, i still only have power to the orange and light blue wire...does this mean it's the relay?
Old 12-02-2004, 02:06 PM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

I would say its a problem with the signal coming from the engine control module.The orange and lt blue comes from the fusible link on the soleniod.You will have power all the time on that wire.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:41 PM
89MustangMan
1st Gear Member

and the engin control module is the relay on the pass side kick panel? or is it the computer on the pas side kick panel?
Old 12-02-2004, 06:11 PM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

It is the computer under the pass side kick panel.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:04 AM
89MustangMan
1st Gear Member

do you know the how much that is gonna run me and where the best place i could get it would be?
Old 12-03-2004, 02:00 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I would buy a new fuel pump relay first before I would spend money on an EEC that you might not need. The EEC unit is not the big engine control computer.
This is what it says in the factory manual about the fuel pump electrical.
"The electrical system has a fuel pump control relay controlled by the Electronic Engine Control (EEC) module, which provide power to the fuel pump through an ineria switch, which is normally closed.
The electrical system provides power to the fuel pump through two relays: Fuel Pump and EEC power relays. the current path is dependent upon the operating conditions.
When the ignition switch is in the OFF position, the contacts of both relays are open.
When the ignition switch is first turned to the ON position, the EEC power relay is energized, closing it contacts. Power is provided to both the fuel pump relay and to a timing device in the EEC module. The fuel pump runs through the contacts of the fuel pump relay if the ignition switch is not turned to the START position, the timing device in the EEC module will open the ground circuit (No. 57) after approximately one second. Opening the ground circuit de-energizes the fuel pump relay (opening its contacts), which in turn de-energizes the fuel pump. This circuitry provides for pre-pressurization of the fuel system.
When the ignition switch is turned to the START position, the EEC module operates the fuel pump relay to provide fuel while cranking.
After the engine starts and the ignition switch is returned to the ON position, power to the fuel pump is again supplied through the fuel pump relay. The EEC module senses engine speed and shuts off the fuel pump by opening the ground circuit to the fuel pump relay when the engine stops, or it is below 120 rpm."

Based on the above, make sure the intertia relay switch in the rear is not tripped. push the reset button on the top to reset it. then check for current on the red/black wire going to the fuel pump relay. if current is not present, then the inertia relay may be the bad one. if the EEC is nt getting a signal from the PIP profile ignition pick-up, then it thinks the engine is not running and shuts off the pump, so you might need to check the Hall effect device in the distributor to make sure it is good also. or the TFI module may be bad and not sending the PIP signal to the EEC. the main power to the EEC relay comes from the BLUE 20 gauge fusible link "L" attached to the battery side of the starter solenoid, so make sure this link is not burned up also. the fuel pump relay gets power from the 20 gauge BLUE fusible link "M", so check this link also to ensure it is OK also.
hope this helps you some more.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:11 PM
89MustangMan
1st Gear Member

hey, thanks alot man, im gonna check all that out, ill let you guys know what the outcome is, thanks again....Nick
Old 12-08-2004, 11:01 AM
ballzoutstang875.0
2nd Gear Member

ok IMPOSITIVE ON THIS ONE!!!!!

its your FUEL REGULATOR SWITCH/RELAY! this is under your drivers seat in a little black box that is connected to a little green box that should come off- its held on by a clip. im tellin u, i had the same problem on my 87gt. I was scratchin my head for days, after taking tank out to replace fuel pump w/ filter (both of them). I got a call from my uncle one day and told me its this relay- sure enough, it was. when dissconnected or broken, theres no power going to the pump in the tank which obviously cant pump fuel through the lines into the engine. THIS "IS" ur problem!!!!! the relay is about $20- $17 or $18 to be exact. re connect the box and ul find that the pump will humm. CRANK HER UP!!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:51 PM
snacob14

the reset is behind the drivers side tail light under the trim. if you have been banging around it or anything it will kick off the fuel pump. try pushing it down and see if that works

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump won't turn on. HELP PLEASE!!!