5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Will a C6 work/fit?????

Old 04-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Arrid Extra Dry
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Will a C6 work/fit?????

c6 , small block or big block, you can find either transmissions.
i wouldnt use a c6 unless i just had too, , not because of performance reasons if it was just a streetcar anyway. but the pan is wider, and might cause exhaust clearance problems.
but i would definatly find a c4 or a c5. instead of a c6.
i have a stock 89 lx and my aod has been acting up for about a year now. but rarley drive it,.. im going to go through it one of these days, not going to put a c-4 in it because its just a cruise car, and i like the OD
but if you did put a c6 in it, you wouldnt ever have to worry about tearing it up, even in a racecar, but they are a little heavier than c-4s, thats whymostrace cars use glides or c-4s
or if your an idiot like me use a 5 speed [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 04-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

I found a C4 !! $150 at a local wreckers. Its out of an '81 pickup, un-known Km's, but its better than $1200 (CDN) for a TCI.... The car is for summer ONLY because its snowy 75% of the year . A 3 speed will do just fine 80Km is the highest it's gonna cruise at lol ( old lady driving...lol) Is there anything that will need to be swaped? Like the flywheel, starter or anything??? I'm a total novice, and having you guys help me is AWESOME!!!! If you have any idea's or info about the swap, PLEEEASE let me know. It's gonna be a nice weekend, so I'll be getting into it Friday-Sunday this week! Let me know THANX A LOT!!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:06 PM
dthompson67
2nd Gear Member

what about me? not to steal your tread or anything. i am gonna build up the engine to have about 400-450 hp. and it is kinda a daily driver. i wont drive it everyday but since it is summer ill get it out probbly once a day. my aod is kind screwed up so i figured i would go with a c4 from a schol teacher for 25$. how much hp do they hold up stock? and will they fit with the stock driveshaft?
Old 04-19-2007, 07:47 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

If your driveline is going to be putting out those kinda numbers, you won't be happy with the stock built C4 . It won't last long enuff to enjoy it if you drive like I do. As far as the drive shaft, don't worry about it fitting, it will fit. Crossmember will fit also. Yo uwill want to atleast do a mild build on that tranny before you stick it in behind that kind of engine.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/v8/v8.htm This site was good help to me, check it out. Depending on your rearend, you may be able to keep your driveshaft. I hope this helps, if anyone knows anything else, please let us know(C4 mustsor driveshaft lengths).
Old 04-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Arrid Extra Dry
2nd Gear Member

it might work, if it hasnt been sitting out in the rain .
but good luck on it working.
first thing i would do would either take your radiator to a transmission shop and have it cleaned out if you had your transmission lines hooked up too it. or if you had an aftermarket cooler hooked up, either have it cleaned out or buy a new one. and blow all your lines out with some cleaner and an air line.!!! and put a new filter on it <<
and i would buy a new converter, before i put it in.
just one little piece of trash will stop it from shifting!!!!!
and for everyone that puts a new radiator, or an aftermarket transmission coolerin their car, before hooking your transmission coolant lines up too the new radiator, have it cleaned out.
even though its new, doesnt mean anything, ive seen it too many times, that people buy a new radiator , put it in, hook their transmission coolant lines up, and boom, their goes their transmission. gotta be clean!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

I give up. A new TCI it is. Thanx for the tips. I hope one year this thing will hit the road...
Old 04-20-2007, 01:38 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

If I were you I would be more interested in doing a 4R70W swap, but that isn't going to be very cheap.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

[:@]An AOD or AODE will never go into my car again! A TCI sizzler should do the trick, its gonna cost me $1500 (Trans, bell, converterand kickdown cable) I guess hooking a used tranny to a new motor isn't the smartest thing I could have done. Anyone who has used a TCI, or heard of em' let me know... Thanx for the help everyone!
Old 07-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Malacca

sorry to hijack the thread but will a C4 be a direct swap with an AOD. What I mean is will it bolt right up tp the motor, the trans mount and crossmember and will the stock driveshaft work?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will a C6 work/fit?????