5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Valve train noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:03 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Valve train noise

geez lol

some noise is normal, with hood open, 3-4 feet you can hear it some, but while driving it, you shouldnt hear it.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:18 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nike2141

Ok, I have read just about every post about the solution for valve train noise issues, and I still cant figure this thing out. I have a set of AFR 185 heads w/1.60 ford rockers. I checked the push rods and discovered they are the correct length. I also changed the lifters for a brand new set of motorsport lifters. The cam is a launati custom grind fyi. We adjusted the rocker arms exactlyas the tech from Air Flow Research advised. Now I know these heads are going to make a little more noise than a stock set, but this is crazy loud. The pistons are notched for valve clearance so thats not the issue, and the rocker arms are not striking the valve covers. Anyone have any insight on this? Anyone have a set of these 185s with a similar problem? Also the other thing is I noticed a small amount of oil in the throttle body, I had this same issue with my 95gt, but this seems to be a little more oil than before. Any advise would be great.
TY
John
Just to make sure it was done properly, can you describe how you checked for proper pushrod length and rocker geometry. And have you checked for guide plate interference?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:45 AM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stanguy306

BikeBoy check this out....I had the same issue as it sounds like your are having on my 306 I built a while back. Mine was LOUD as hell like a bunch or rocks in the motor, or if you put on your rockers all less than finger tight and started the motor.....thats the noise mine made sounded like crazy valve train noise all across the board each cylinder every rocker it was nuts...I took to every builder/shop I knew nobody could put a finger on it......and I did all the basics like you...mine was NOT hitting the valve covers....PTV was good....I readjusted the valves four times. 1/4 turn 1/2 turn 3/4 turn 1 full turn....nothing same **** everytime....primed my lifters to all hell....and my motor read GOOD oil psi....but dude the noise NOT normal...people were like rockers are "loud" well I can tell you they are not louder than flowmasters.....is this the issue your having? I got soooo pissed I ended up pulling the motor and its sitting in my garage...that piece of $hit....
yes yes yes! this is exactly my problem. my oil pressure is higher than ever with the new pump i put in and i just put all new bearings in the motor as i rebuilt it when i did my h/c/i....i just cant figure out this valve train noise
Old 05-07-2008, 12:28 PM
stanguy306
2nd Gear Member

Dude no way? You know what bud? I had a thread on here a while back about this issue....a lot of us were going back and forth about what it could be, what was checked etc. I gave up when I went through all those options and the $hit box still was making that ticking/knocking/WTF.......I did everything under the sun....I used the pushrods that came with my topend kit. Then said F this and went back to stock....but that created a little guideplate interference so...I dont know that was one of my last measures when I had nothing left to do......like I said I took it to a bunch of shops/and builders...they were like you adjusted your valves wrong...I was like no...I've done them before many times with no issues....this time? Then they said your lifters suck.....I was like they are new.....??? And primed....but hey check this out this is what one guy told me....all of you let me know what you think for our sake....

Ok so this one builder told me sometimes depending on lifters/castings/etc. there maybe a need to "clearence" your lifter by grinding or etching away a portion of the lifter to allow "more" oil flow to oil galley. Because the galley is allowing "some" oil to flow through but not enough? Therefore not allowing the lifter to pump up "all the way"

?????????????????
Old 05-07-2008, 01:01 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

i talked with comp and they say that they will make more noise than factory
Old 05-07-2008, 01:01 PM
stangman94
4th Gear Member

Hey I've had the same problem but I only get noise from one head I've replaced my lifters, pushrods were good, sent the head out to two different people and it checked out both times and dideverything else listedbut I still have the noise. FYI I have pedestal mounted 1.7's tw heads steeda #19 cam.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:02 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

oh yeah an i have rev'd the car to 7000rpm many many times and it holds together fine, i guess if you guys have questions call murillo motorsports their cars are top notch and i bet you hear them say some ticking is just fine
Old 05-07-2008, 01:20 PM
stanguy306
2nd Gear Member

"Some" ticking is not this issue...I have some ticking on my new set up too....but this is crazy like I said if you were to start up your car with less that finger tight rockers so the flop all over the place, Imagine the chaos....yes thats the noise.....Bikeboy can you get togethera sound clip?
Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

get a stethescope and listen pinpoint exactly where it is coming from
Old 05-07-2008, 01:42 PM
stanguy306
2nd Gear Member

If his is like mine...it cant be pin-pointed because it sounds like hell at every cylinder front to back of the valve cover....if it could be pinpointed the "problem" could be fixed...then you know "where" the issue is....

Quick Reply: Valve train noise