5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Look what boost did for me :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:57 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Look what boost did for me :(

ORIGINAL: 89Ford

ORIGINAL: kev2369

Timing wasn't advanced any, had it set stock... It didn't lean out from how the plugs and everything looked great... Damned ole cast pistons that someone put it it before me... I knew it was a matter of time before it came apart, not two weeks later though... Regardless, not gonna tear my car all to hell and it never really be dependable, so i'm gonna take the charger off for the time being and save it for a fox body and make this one my dd... My camry is getting a little old... haha
what did the car come with originally?
I think the 94-95's came with hyper pistons... My motor had been bored 40 over and someone put the cast pistons in it... Which would be fine for a stocker... But doesn't work to well with boost... Well with my other heads, i wasn't making much power, but when i put the full roller gt-40s on, with the intake and cam, it just upped the pressure on the motor because it made a tremendous amount of excess power... O well... Gonna suck going back stock though
Old 07-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

wellp looks like we'll be ordering good ****s now huh...
Old 07-03-2007, 04:35 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

O-RING THE HEADS
ORIGINAL: 94IVGT

ORIGINAL: kev2369

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

Looks to me like your ring end gap might have been too tight, butted and the ring bound in the land against the cylinder wall, and snapped the top off that part of the piston. That's why you need more ring end gap for blown/nitrous Is the cylinder wall scratched on that side?
Be honest with ya, i'm not sure on the scratch on the wall... I didn't put the bottom end together, and its been together for a while... It ran with ten pounds of boost for about 5k or so and never had any problems... But i had a set of heads and some parts laying around so i decided to bolt them on my car, and only had problems after they went on... For some reason it keeps ruining head gaskets between the cylinder wall and the water jackets... All i done when i pulled the heads off it saw the busted piston then flipped it over to see how the bottom end looks, which was fine, then i've been on vacation since
i have been having the same problem with the headgaskets blowing between the cylinders and the waterjackets. cant figure it out vortech s/c kit on the car as well. timing at 10degreesbtd. any ideas on this???
Old 07-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Jon_Boy

When you add boost to any motor, you should retard the timing a few degrees, depending on the amount of boost you are running.

OR

There is a device called a "Boost Retard" units. These allow you to dial in the amount of "boost retard" needed to control detonation, which provides good starting and economy under normal driving conditions.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:35 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jon_Boy

When you add boost to any motor, you should retard the timing a few degrees, depending on the amount of boost you are running.

OR

There is a device called a "Boost Retard" units. These allow you to dial in the amount of "boost retard" needed to control detonation, which provides good starting and economy under normal driving conditions.
Again, it depends on your setup. I'm running 10 PSI of boost and not only do I not have to retard timing at all, but I can actually advance it if I wanted to.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:03 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

+1 I advanced my timing as well after I added my boost