5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

why low HP? and top end opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:23 PM
droptopfoxgt

Default why low HP? and top end opinions

i recently had my car (89 gt vert)dynoed and it only made 207hp and 275 ft/lbs of torque to the tires. here are my mods: 306 with E-cam, bigger throttlebody(not sure what size, is there a way to measure?), mac CAI,65mm egr plate, hooker super-comp shorties, off road h-pipe, flowmasters w/ turndowns, ford racing clutch, rebuilt t-5, aluminum driveshaft, 3.73's. it has a new fuel pump in it and it picked up 10 hp when that was done, the injectors are new ford racing 19lb/hr, heads and intake are stock, computer is stock, why low hp? i guess the stock heads and intake are the culprits. any opinions on setups? i have a friend looking to get rid of a trick flow track heat but im thinking it would be too much airto run with the stock heads till i can afford aluminum ones. for heads i want to save up for AFR 165's so would the e-cam, 165s and track heat work well? any suggestions would be great.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:57 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: why low HP? and top end opinions

That's not that low... that's right about where it should be for your mod list. It's basically a 306 with full exhaust. I'm not sure what size your TB is, but you'll probably want to make sure that your MAF is larger than your TB. A tune will help release some extra ponies but with no tune and just basic exhaust on a 306 I wouldn't expect too much more.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 AM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

If you pull off the inlet tube, you can see if there is a lip between the TB and spacer. It's it's smooth, it's a 65mm like the spacer. Generally they match.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:39 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptopfoxgt

306(~1-2 HP) with
E-cam(12HP)
bigger throttlebody(~1HP)
mac CAI(0HP)
65mm egr plate(0HP)

hooker super-comp shorties>>VVVV
off road h-pipe>>>>>>>>>>>(7H P)
flowmasters w/ turndowns>>>^^^^^^

ford racing clutch>>>>>VVVVV
rebuilt t-5>>>>>>>>>>(0HP)
aluminum driveshaft>>>^^^^^^^
3.73's.>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>^^^^^^^

new fuel pump in it and it picked up 10 hp when that was done(Doubt it)
injectors are new ford racing 19lb/hr(0HP)

heads and intake are stock(this is whats killing you and that cam)
Old 06-06-2007, 04:47 PM
droptopfoxgt

thanks guys, it did pick up 10 hp with the pump because the old one was bad it was spitting a code. i have the dyno sheets before and after. so aany ideas on heads/intake combo? i can get the trickflow track heat on sunday($400 like new) and saturday is my graduation party and i just might make enough for heads but then ill still have to add more fuel i guess
Old 06-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Force4
3rd Gear Member

your HP ratings are lowered from shorter gears although your 1/4 time will improve. That is odd to see only 207whp with that many mods.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:01 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Force4

your HP ratings are lowered from shorter gears although your 1/4 time will improve. That is odd to see only 207whp with that many mods.
I wouldnt hardly consider anything he has done, much of a mod... with the exception of the cam

I made more HP with less done to my car.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Force4
3rd Gear Member

thats what im saying, when i was getting dyno'd, a fox with just catless exhaust and catback put down 197
Old 06-06-2007, 05:37 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Force4

thats what im saying, when i was getting dyno'd, a fox with just catless exhaust and catback put down 197
part selection is everything... It looks like he just went on ebay and bought a ton of stuff...
Old 06-08-2007, 04:53 PM
droptopfoxgt

so r u saying all my sh*t is miss-matched? the exhaust came on the car and i had the TB lying around and when i bolted it on i blew a headgasket and that was on a lincoln 5.0 with 17lb injectors so i said fk it n got a reman'd 306 and the guy who put it in (performance specialties in pottstown PA) had the egr plate lying aorund and i told him i wanteda cam and he said go with the E and a friend of mine sold me the CAI so i figure its time for heads and an intake. I have heard good and bad about the AFR's so any help would be appreciated. I keep reading posts that say go trick flow or go canfield but there is no fact behind these is it just a matter of personal opinion? also i was going to run a trick flow track heat because i hear good things but am i wasting my time with the E cam? if so whats a good cam to run? i appreciate the help

Quick Reply: why low HP? and top end opinions