5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

LCAs ...going out of my freakin' mind!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:17 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

Default RE: LCAs ...going out of my freakin' mind!!!!

ORIGINAL: HC_CrAzYHoRsE

ORIGINAL: Ze2222

I had the same problem easy solution is put a impact gun on the bolt and spin the **** until it breaks free, u will c all the rust n **** fall out.. If the exhaust is in ur way take off a couple of the rubber hangers just to drop it enough.. u'll c
i loosened one of the h-pipe bolts and the hanger from the tip so it's out of the way enough to reach the bolt but i can't really wail on it with a hammer... i did figure an impact gun would make it alot easier but i don't have any.
i just had an idea regarding this trick... while i don't want to fork over the $$$ for a compressor and all that stuff right now (plus i wouldn't have any place to put it) i was thinking maybe an electric impact gun might do the trick? i was checking my local tool store's website for impact guns and compressors when i saw they had a big blowout special on an electric impact gun with a 49 piece deep and regular, SAE and metric socket set for 90$ ....the socket set alone is worth 129$ alone on regular price. while i realize an electric wouldn't be as strong as an air gun, do you guys think it could do the trick? the air guns are rated at 450 ft/lb and the electric is rated at 230 ft/lb.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:02 PM
shibby_cbs
2nd Gear Member

dont waste yur money on the electric one...ive seen air have enough trouble with stuck bolts
Old 06-16-2007, 09:10 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

well i already loosened it a little with the breaker bar, i'm able to turn it with a hand ratchet if i force enough to be on the verge on an hernia so i'm pretty positive 230lbs will be enough, i'm just wondering if the impact and speed will be adequate to break the bolt loose from the metal sleeve.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:13 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

I would give it a whirl my friend, I bet it would work. Those guns can be pretty strong.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:21 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I've seen some electric impacts that were extremely strong, but air definitely owns. Sorry to hear about your problems dude, we feel for you though b/c we've all been there.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:34 PM
stocksuspension
2nd Gear Member

u guys are obvioulsy not techs cuz any tech would of know about the snap-on 1/2 electric impact
ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

I've seen some electric impacts that were extremely strong, but air definitely owns. Sorry to hear about your problems dude, we feel for you though b/c we've all been there.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:41 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stocksuspension

u guys are obvioulsy not techs cuz any tech would of know about the snap-on 1/2 electric impact

Why would a "tech" waist there money on a electric impact when they have access to shop air? I've worked in plenty of shops, I've never seen anyone with an electric impact. Most guys use ingrassal gun with 730ft lbfwd torque, 1000ft lb reverse torque. One of the most powerful 1/2 guns out there.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:43 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

the bolts on the arms fuse to the bushing sleeve overthe years, it happend to me a few weeks back when i did mine and i just spun the bolt for several minutes with a 1/2" impact gun until it broke loose
Old 06-16-2007, 09:45 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

Why would a "tech" waist there money on a electric impact when they have access to shop air? I've worked in plenty of shops, I've never seen anyone with an electric impact. Most guys use ingrassal gun with 730ft lbfwd torque, 1000ft lb reverse torque. One of the most powerful 1/2 guns out there.
ive actually heard good things about the snap-on ones, but i can think of other things to spend the money on instead
Old 06-16-2007, 09:45 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

interesting, there are some guys in our shop with electric impacts, and they are among the best techs in our shop. Most of the time you dont need 1000lbs of tq to work on a car and not being tied to an air line can be a lot easier to maneuver and such. My gun is a 650tq IR and is plenty for everything ive ever done.

Quick Reply: LCAs ...going out of my freakin' mind!!!!