5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Good, cheap brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Good, cheap brake upgrade?

ORIGINAL: Jfsram

I'll be the first one to say the factory fox brakes do suck but I suspect your car has a problem.

All upgrading will do is prevent fade when you overheat your stock stuff.

The factory stuff should lock up the front tires. Are yours powerful enough to do that?
I guess they'd probably lock up. I'll check later today. It just seemed like it took so much effort to stop the car.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:38 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

mine's like that too.

does the front end suck down low when you nail the brakes?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: watson30

lock up? who wants that! I have Sn95 brakes all around and when I slam it to the floor it just stops.
No the goal is not to actually lock up the brakes. I'm trying to put some technical numbers into this thread.

When someone say my car will not stop. Does he mean 60 - 0 is taking longer than 200'? If so you DON'T need a brake upgrade. Your factory stuff is not up to par. Fix it and be done.

If the car is indeed stopping in just over 100' and you want MORE.
An upgrade is in order.

Many upgrades will not improve your normal everyday driving in traffic distance. It will let you use and abuse your brakes over and over again. Like in racing.

The lock up question was to help us visualize if Twisted's brakes are at least working "as new" or are they shot and need work.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

mine's like that too.

does the front end suck down low when you nail the brakes?
I don't think the front dives too much, as the suspension is pretty stiff up front. I'm looking forward to driving the car later and nailing the brakes a bit to get a better idea of what's going on. I don't normally have to jam on the brakes, so I was just surprised that they didn't seem as strong as I expected them to be. If they lock up, then they are as good asthey need to be, I guess. Thanks again.

By the way, per info obtained in another thread, I believe my rear brakes might be out of adjustment. I'll try adjusting them and seeing if that helps.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:40 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

just go ahead and pony up the money for a nice aftermarket setup if you want i wish i could have done something like the svo upgrade on my 65 if i could have a cheap alternative that is(although there are kits out there but i want something a little more extreme to fill my wheels), but the drums had to go. i went with ssbc all the way around i did 13 inch in the front and 10.5 inch in the rear the kits went to gether without any hassle and looks killer behind my wheels
Old 06-19-2007, 11:58 PM
blwn93gt
3rd Gear Member

i hear a lot of guys say that their brakes got really spongy after doing the 73mm upgrade. so a MC upgrade might be needed as well. or just go with a complete sn95 upgrade.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:42 PM
y2kstangman

I can say my stock front brakes have more holding power than the tires! Last week almost sent my 89 LX stang to the wrecking yard when I had to stop immediately on the freeway andand both front wheels locked up! Yikes! Good thing for the carpool lane and nobody there, swerved and kept on trucking. My buddy about crapped his pants. :-) Probably the closest I'vebeen to hitting someone in a long time.

The cars do need some more brakes in general. A trip through the wrecking yard almost always indicates the cars would not stop and the front ends are smashed.

4 wheel disc's would be they way to go with 73 MM front calipers from a Linclon Mark VII , SVO, Mark VII, SN95or Turbo Coupe out back with an adjustable proportioning valve. This would not cost too much and keep these cars on the road. The Cobra brakes would be ideal but a few more bucks to complete.

Too much horsepower, not enough stopping power!