5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

PMS or have it Tuned?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:27 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: PMS or have it Tuned?

ORIGINAL: 94IVGT

i do own the PMS and it is a little more expensivebut there is no need for a laptop in the car which the tweecer need price ends up pretty close, it is easier to use than the tweecer. both are good though. i recommend the PMS
You can get laptops for dirt cheap. And even if you have to buy a laptop and end up paying te same price that you would pay for a PMS, it's still a far stretch to say that it would be equal in the end. After you disconnect the laptop from the tweecer, you still have a computer that you can actually use. You can burn DVDs, CDs, watch movies, go on the web, etc. ot gonna happen with a PMS.

And that's if you buy an expensive laptop. Adder paid $75 for his. Add that to the price of a base model tweecer and you pay $455 for a complete tuner. Or if you get the RT model, then you are paying $600 total.

I just recently bought two brand new laptops. One at Circiut City for $380 and one at Office Max for $250. Add those to the price of a Tweecer RT and you're paying $775 to $905 for a damned good setup.

Yeah, the Tweecer is harder to use, but only if you have no clue about how the ecu works. And it's not that difficult to learn for anyone that has even a basic grasp of how a car runs. Personally, I think that it's good that you have to learn a bit more in order to use it. That makes you less likely to screw something up and it opens up a whole new world to you. You cna come up with new ways of doing things or you can figure out what is wrong simply by looking at a few numbers and datalogs.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:30 AM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

94ivgt ive been on stangtuning.com recently looking at all the differnt tunes. it looks like the pms is more user friendly. Also looks as if pms is the most used, theres ove 1000threads on pms's on that site and only a couple for the tweecer. I think starting out tuning cars. I might go with pms just becuase im new at this. I like the fact that i can set up a tune before i fire my car over. I was afriad of starting up my brand new superchargerd motor with out having a clue what the timing and tune was going to be. With the pms or tweecer i can set the tune and then start it right? This could save me blown head gaskets and much more i think. also the pms series 4 looks sick, looks like a hand held video game in ur car lol. but thanks guys alot I just had a chance to get a series 2 pms for 430bucks.. but i think ill spend the extra 1-200bucks to buy the series 4 and have the updated version.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:34 AM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

ok also a nother newbie tuning question. wide band o2 sensor... what is this im really lost on this? I hear the series 4 pms has this feature built in... but what dose a wide band 02 sensor do..
Old 06-18-2007, 04:47 AM
94IVGT
2nd Gear Member

thats great to hear that your going with the PMS. the wideband 02 is separate from the PMS it will have a digital readout where you air fuel ratio is. this makes tuning much safer and alot easier. its not a must to have but is highly recommended. it is pricey, but definately pick one up in the future.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:03 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Andyspeed.... you should just get your car dyno-tuned. You have already made it obvious that you dont know a damn thing about even the basics of tuning a car. No offence, but your gonna blow your **** uo if you try to tune it yourself.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:35 PM
jasonvri
I ♥ Acer

Dont' go to stangtuning for tweecer info...
I think I am the only tweecer in the world who regularly checks that site, and I only go there to read up on the pms...

I have been trying to figure out the pms for the last few days... the functionality sucks as you are still 'fooling' the ecu.
Yeah, many have had good results, but this goes against the very concept of what I consider tuning.

The pms fights against the factory ecu. Tweecer/Moates will allow you to modify the ecu, in order to take full advantage of the Ford program.

If you will be using nitrous or boost, then I see the benfit of the pms. Otherwise, I don't expect to be pleased with my results when I start tuning with the pms.

just my opinion though,

jason
Old 09-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Richter12x2
1st Gear Member

I know this is back from the dead a bit - but if stangtuning.com isn't a good source for tweecer info, is there a place that IS a good source of info? The "Decoding the black box" stickies are incredibly useful, but is there more information available?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:21 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Richter12x2

I know this is back from the dead a bit - but if stangtuning.com isn't a good source for tweecer info, is there a place that IS a good source of info? The "Decoding the black box" stickies are incredibly useful, but is there more information available?
before you go jumping into tuning with a tweecer, you need to first learn the basics of EFI.

read the megamanual

sure, its not Tweecer specific... but it holds the key to the universe..... of EFI tuning
Old 09-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Richter12x2
1st Gear Member

Definitely - I'm actually planning on going megasquirt on another project car I have, but tweecer looks like it'll be easier to setup for running the AODE on my '94. The initial plan was to megasquirt this one and go to a manual, but my wife reminded me whose car it was. So until the AODE dies, it's Auto 5.0 for me.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:00 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

eectuning.org is one place that's big on the tweecer, although most of hte people there have old foxes, so it's a bit harder to get info for the CBAZA strategy (which you have.) Still, it's a great site for info.

There's also the Tweecer Yahoo group that's full on helpful information.

Check those two places out.

Quick Reply: PMS or have it Tuned?