5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Window issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 03:47 PM
wolf39us
2nd Gear Member

Default Window issue

I am auto dumb so be easy on me lol

my car windows...ya...an issue

1987 Mustang GT 5.0 T-Top

***Mind my terminoligy...these windows are Electric***

The driver side window that USED to work....up until about yesterday....would sway from side to side unevenly while rolling up...until the window was up....and when you roll it down...it would almost "Fall" into the door..

The passenger side window doesn't sway or fall....but when you roll it up...it almost gets "Stuck" halfway rolled up....and sometimes I have to "help" the window by pulling it up while pushing the button...

now the driver side does nothing at all....the motor doesn't kick in either...just nothing...

what the crap is going on....

do I need to take these door panels off maybe???
Old 06-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Window issue

Check the fuses. If theyre ok take the door panels off and check for any corrosion at the wires. If all is good grab a test light and test the switch for power. Got power there then its a bad motor.

When you hold the window to work it up do you feel anything catching inside like its stuck? Somethings either bent or worn. Is there still grease on the tracks?

The window wobble could be the door panels. Theres a metal reinforcement in the top of the panel which doesnt need much to bend. My drivers side is like that from so many removals. The window rides against the fuzz strip on the door panel so if its not close enough (the door panel) the window will wobble. I pushed down on it a bit and got it a little closer but still wobbles a lil.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:06 PM
wolf39us
2nd Gear Member

where are the fuses located on my car?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Inside a small black plastic box under the drivers side of the dash. Just pull the cover off. I just realized its not a fuse for the windows, its a circuit breaker.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:13 PM
wolf39us
2nd Gear Member

ah ok...

but if I was to fix the issue with the DS window falling and the PS window getting stuck in place...I would need to remove the door panel anyway right?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:14 PM
wolf39us
2nd Gear Member

if it was a fuse tho...according to your list...

then both windows would stop ...correct?

only the DS window Stopped working
Old 06-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Forget about the circuit breaker since one window still works. That was my mistake.

Id still remove both panels.

Theres 2 bolts inside 2 caps on the arm rest, i think 3/8". Theres a screw at each end of the armrest. Remove the cup for the inner door handle (pull the handle and work the cup off), i think the screw on the door speaker needs to come off, and theres small black push pins around the door that sometimes come out of the door panel itself. You can buy new ones at the parts store.

On the PS with the window down all the way, how close is the fuzz on the door panel to the fuzz on the outside of the window? Should be next to no space between them. If thats ok then look around inside the door where the window rides. Could be a broken gear on the window motor or something is bent. I have no idea how the motor is positioned so i cant tell you where to look exactly.

I need to leave for work so let me know what you come up with.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:30 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

First off you need new regulator bushings. Also called window guide bushings, $8 each at 5.0resto.com, you need the convertable ones since you have a t-top, and only 1 per door. You have to remove door panel, remove the 1/4" rivets from the door glass, remove the glass, then you have to remove the rivets and bolts for the regulator and motor. Once all thats out, slide the vertical bar out of the reg, and swap the bushings. You will also need to grease all tracks with white lithium grease. You might as well change the motor as well. You should also inspect your felt side tracks for rips and lube with silicone spray, I do auto glass for a living.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:09 PM
wolf39us
2nd Gear Member

ok update..

I went to go bring back the car to the mechanic...

now mind you for the last week the windows were not working...

when I first started the car....the DS window was still not working..

I drove down the road on my way to the mechanic I felt that it was too hot in the car lol....and by instict tried to roll down the window again....and it friggin worked...

now the window works again?? lol

I don't get it...
Old 06-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

May just be a loose wire to the switch or motor.

Quick Reply: Window issue