5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:26 AM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

Default I need help

Last night i was leaving my friends house and it was raining outside and it was about 9 so i had to turn my lights on. Get in the car start it up and turn the lights and wipers on and notice that my lights look dim, my wipers look like they are barely moving and the dash lights are very dim. I notice my volt guage is low down around 8. I take it slow through the neighborhood to see if it will get better like maybe i left my fan on and it drained the battery some, so i thought maybe i will give the ALT. time to put a charge it in, but things just got worse the lights got dimmer and eventually it finnally just died. Does this sound like an ALT. Problem to you guys? I dont know if this was a start to the problem, but earlier that afternoon on the way to my friends house i hit it with him in the car just in first and it wouldnt go anywhere.hit like 3K and just wouldnt pull at all almost felt like a slipping clutch but i know the clutch was not slipping also didnt smell like it either. But just wondering if this information can help in diagnoses to what is wrong. Maybe the ALT was done then, and i just couldnt tell 1. because i was not paying attn. to the volt guage 2. it was not dark out so i couldnt tell lights are dim ETC.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:32 AM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I need help

I would say it is time for a 3G alternator, I had the same problems that you described, I replaced the alternator and it seemed to fix everything, also remember the ecu needs good voltage to tell the car to add fuel and make adjustments, without enough power your ecu will not work properly. You can always take the alternator to autozone or some place like that and get it tested for free.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:49 AM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

Yeah my dad is off today and he is an electrician so he is going to stop by and check it out for me while i am at work and i guess see from there. I just thought i would ask and see what you guys thought about it. Of course something like this would happen as i am trying to sell the car soon. More money i have to dump into it, never fails me i just have that luck like that.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:45 AM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

Any other suggestions are greatly apprecitated!
Old 06-29-2007, 03:25 PM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

bump
Old 06-29-2007, 03:31 PM
hatchdemon89
3rd Gear Member

upgrade ur alt.!!! thats it nothing else lol been there the problem testin grounds wires ectt just get a 3g alternator
Old 06-29-2007, 03:33 PM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

+1 mine went on the ol 4 banger a while ago.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:33 PM
justakid
2nd Gear Member

what a coincident!

i found out about the same problem yesterday!

it's in the shop getting a new alt. today. i had to jump start the car one the way there with my dads 04, it didn't make it there alone.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:47 PM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

Yeah man i was so pissed last night, it was pouring down rain and i had to deal with that crap. Anyways i left the car in the neighborhood and im going to pull the batt. tonight and a buddy has a SN95 Alt that i am going to throw in there for now.