5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

information panel under dash

Old 07-02-2007, 10:11 AM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

Default information panel under dash

ok so my 89 lx convertible I think is missing something. I took apart my dash last night and noticed that right next to the ignition, there was a display panel that says low fuel, washer fluid, low coolant and something else. The problem is that only the panel is there, the box with the lights isnt. Is this something that only the GT's came with? what would that missing part be called, I didnt see any type of harness that would go to it.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:16 AM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

Default RE: information panel under dash

is it right under the radio on the center colum?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:20 AM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

No its right next to the ignition, where you insert your key, under the gauge cluster on the right hand side. between the center console and the steering wheel. its just a black ocver with some warning indicators on it, but its just the translucent cover, there are no guts behind it. any ideas?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: piedraco

No its right next to the ignition, where you insert your key, under the gauge cluster on the right hand side. between the center console and the steering wheel. its just a black ocver with some warning indicators on it, but its just the translucent cover, there are no guts behind it. any ideas?
My 87 has what you are talking about and it works.

Not sure if it was an option on your year. Ford might have just left them there and made them not work, unless you paid for that option.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:20 AM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

I have an LX so I dont have fog lights, het the wiring is there for it and the switch just needs to be changed, i'm wondering if its the same deal with the dash, they just left that lens in and didnt bother to run the wires, OR the previous owner of this vehicle ripped it out. either way I cant find the harness, I will look for it again today when I get home. any idea how yours is attatched?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

I have an LX so I dont have fog lights, het the wiring is there for it and the switch just needs to be changed, i'm wondering if its the same deal with the dash, they just left that lens in and didnt bother to run the wires, OR the previous owner of this vehicle ripped it out. either way I cant find the harness, I will look for it again today when I get home. any idea how yours is attatched?
I would have to say it's an option that maybe the first owner didn't pay for when they got the car.

I will try to take a picture of teh dash for you, but my car is sitting in a hotel lot because my belt snapped on me - :P (I should be putting on the belt tuesday).
Old 07-02-2007, 01:48 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

ok so my 89 lx convertible I think is missing something. I took apart my dash last night and noticed that right next to the ignition, there was a display panel that says low fuel, washer fluid, low coolant and something else. The problem is that only the panel is there, the box with the lights isnt. Is this something that only the GT's came with? what would that missing part be called, I didnt see any type of harness that would go to it.

It is an optional set of warning lights, my 87 had it. Sence I didn't have the option I used the bezzel from a 90 or 91 that doesn't have the light panel looks cleaner.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:19 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i have the original owners manual and its says. in cluster lights are lx. the lights that go around the instrument cluster are for gt.

I have an lx but i have those extra lights as well but mine work and i also have a fog light switch but no fog lights. so i dont know if ford was just messing around or if this is previous owner mods. hard to say
Old 07-02-2007, 03:20 PM
89GT351
1st Gear Member

Those are just warning lights my 89 GT Hatchback had them I took them off and installed a costume switch panel for Line-lok switchand etc. It attaches to the speedometer cluster underneath. you can fined them on ebay here is a link to the auction that has the whole speedometer cluster with the warning lights under. I hope the link works
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-93...32734247QQrdZ1
Old 07-03-2007, 02:55 AM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

i have the original owners manual and its says. in cluster lights are lx. the lights that go around the instrument cluster are for gt.

I have an lx but i have those extra lights as well but mine work and i also have a fog light switch but no fog lights. so i dont know if ford was just messing around or if this is previous owner mods. hard to say
The previous owner most likely added it, I put one in mine so I could use the factory harness to add driving lights on my LX.