5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need help...no power!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 02:37 AM
kilgorq
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need help...no power!

Bogs down when driving only or just sitting there running?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:04 AM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

It doesn't bog down when it is just sitting there unless I rev it up to over 3000 rpms. When I am driving as soon as I get on the gas a bit it seems like it is starving for power.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:08 AM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

Bump. (I still need help) I was thinking it could possibly be a clogged fuel filter.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:42 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mudvayne1

Bump. (I still need help) I was thinking it could possibly be a clogged fuel filter.
calm down, issues like this are not hard to solve.

you have a 1992 Ford Mustang GT Hatchback , what color,? I dont know,.

1.Start by investing in a fuel pressure tester, there is a schrader valve like the one on your tires on the passenger side area of the engine with a cap on it.
Autozone has em for like $25. Screw it on, start the car and move the throttle lever watching the pressure . shoud be at 32-35psi min

2. Clean the inside MAF element on the airbox assembly by spraying electrical contact cleaner on it nd allowing to dry for 10 mins, verify the element is not broke or bent (the spring looking thing).

3. Remove the oxygen sensors from the catalayic convertors and re check, if the converters are clogged, the car will not sputter, and they will look worse than your plugs.
Start there.

- to be continued
Old 07-06-2007, 06:59 PM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

It is a 95 5.0. Would the schrader valve be in the same location?
Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

I'd run codes...and not necessarily with a reader, but rather a paperclip or piece of wire. Your Chilton's manual lists the procedure. You mentioned that your plugs are black, so the engine is probably not running lean...from a clogged fuel filter or something. It's either running rich or burning oil. In either case, the fouling of the plugs will cause bad/no running. I'd run codes first. Your problem could be o2 sensor-related. Then I'd clean the MAF element, and check the TPS voltage. Also--and I don't know if it could have such an effect on a/f ratios but--you might also replace the ACT sensor in the intake
Old 07-14-2007, 04:44 PM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

Update. I just checked my fuel pressure, it was 35-40 psi.

I talked to a guy that owns a mustang junkyard and he said it could be the timing. He said it may be off a notch. Or it could be the fuel pressure regulator.

What are your thoughts on it? He told me I could make sure it was in time by taking the plug out of cylinder one and putting a screwdriver or something slender in the hole and barely crank it until the piston is at the top getting ready to go back down. He said the rotar should be pointing at the 1 on the cap. Hopefully that made sense. I tried to explain it best I could.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

DIY KOEO/KOER/Cylinder Balance Self-Test

Old 07-14-2007, 06:27 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

its timing/ too much fuel, thats what it sounds like. plugs black=too much fuel.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 PM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

I replaced the plugs a few weeks ago and I just checked them yesterday. They still look brand new without a hint of black on them. I haven't been able to check the timing because I am unfamiliar with it and I don't wanna mess my car up worse than what it already is.

I now know that it isn't not enough spark or too much fuel.

I heard someone say something about some kind of valve may be messed up or something. But it was just speculation. What are your guys thoughts?

Quick Reply: Need help...no power!