5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 10:19 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Default RE: first oil change

mahle performance rings. it holds a steady oil pressure on the M in Normal. yes i kno the stock guage isnt that great. i just havent gotten my new guage yet.
i built it... i feel as if im getting sick now

i hope she doesnt poop on me soon.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:22 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

did you pre lube engine?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:28 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

yeah, comp lube on cam, lifters, and rollers. marvel mystery oil on everything else. i almost drowned the motor in that mess! lol

Old 07-03-2007, 10:46 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

do you think this motor isnt going to last and im gonna get bearing failure?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:38 PM
thunderjet429
2nd Gear Member

marvel is not a good assembly lube, but i think he's asking if you used a drill and primed the oil pump making sure oil came out of all th pushrods before you fired the engine.... why did you rebuild this did it blowup??? and what all did you do or have done?? how many miles on the origonal build?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:19 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

That looks liek a lot of stuff, if I were you id drop the pan or pull a valve cover and see if you can find where its comign from before you destroy the engine.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:35 AM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Cant be any worse than my friends engine, he's got a mid 80's with a rebuilt 302 that he did with his dad. With less than 80 kms on it he was WOT and driving it like he stole it. I saw him driving down the road today with blue exhaust coming out one tailpipe and nothing out the other. The funny part is that he was bragging that it was th ebest thing ever and worth 10k
Old 07-04-2007, 12:41 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

First, it ain't the cam. It's a roller cam so the lifters/camshaft won't be a problem(unless you slathered it in assembly lube, then the roller might not have rotated properly over the cam, that stuff is too heavy). If you didn't prime the engine(run the oil pump with a drill to pressure up the oiling system) then you could have done some damage to it. As far as ring break-in, I have the Mahle piston/ring package in mine, you just install them with a LIGHT coat of oil(nothing with STP and no heavy oils, Mahle recommends 10w oil) and start it up on mineral oil, let it warm up and then go run it with short bursts of WOT and decel in gear. You'll break them in within a few miles that way, it's the only way to get enough ring tension(from the dynamic tension generated by combustion pressure) to properly seat them. As far as all that crap, yeah, pull the pan and valve covers, it's better to try and find out where that's coming from. Did you check the guides on your head to make sure they weren't too tight? And do you know what your bearing clearances are?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:52 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

i bought the car used, had a dead cylinder and lots of blow by. had the shop bore, hone, and clean it, and balance the stroker kit.
i used marvel mystery oil when i installed the rings. yes we did prime the engine. i ran it down the road a little while fluxuating my rpms. i used a plasti guage on the crank and i think i did it on a connecting rod or two. idk if the roller lash is off. i got the instructions on how to set the lash, something like intake goes down then when almost up, i went 1/2 turn past zero lash. but i read earlier that zero lash was at very slight resistance. mine was a a little tighter than that but i doubt would be more than 3/4 turn. it also makes no noise so i really dont see it being the problem.
i guess ill take a valve cover off for a start since i really dont want to pull the engine out to get the pan off. im going to check the next oil change and see how much is in there. if i find even close to that amount its going to be toast & its prob. already to late. its kinda been like one thing after the other with this car lol im so disgusted lol
Old 07-05-2007, 04:49 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

I have to ask this..you did wipe the plastic gauge off the crank, right?was the oil passages cleaned before assly.? are you sure you got the right bearings? correct undersize? or standard....did you use the right dist. gear?????

Quick Reply: first oil change