5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

lots of smoke, head gaskets maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 01:14 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

Default lots of smoke, head gaskets maybe?

i think im done racing for a while, i raced my buddies 240sx with an engine swap. 2.2 red top turbo running 12lbs of boost. we went from a dig to 110 and he only beat me but about a car length. but when we stopped at the next light he said he looked behind us and smoke caught up with my car and covered the back half and it was coming out my pipes. i couldnt see anything but i pulled over a mile down the road and there was nothing. exhaust still smelt rich. temp was 170 and oil pressure was holding still at the half way point in the gauge. i pulled the dip stick and it was still nice and gold so i dont know what it was. he said it was white but smelt like burnt oil could be cause it was night and couldnt see what the color really was. anyway im gunna stop racing till i do my new head gaskets. anyone else have an idea what that could have been? the car ran soooooo smooth after that race too
Old 07-08-2007, 01:25 AM
89 fox
4th Gear Member

Default RE: lots of smoke, head gaskets maybe?

check your coolant level...actually sounds like a lower intake leak...
Old 07-08-2007, 01:30 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89 fox

check your coolant level...actually sounds like a lower intake leak...
only have one intake its carbed but im leaking oil from my intake onto the timing cover
Old 07-08-2007, 01:30 AM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

You could've dropped a piston ring. If the oil control ring dropped. It would smoke pretty good and still smell like burnt oil. If you're motor has alot of miles. It might explain the car running smoother. The oil might help the compression rings seal better... Thus restoring some compression.
If you think it's the head gaskets.... check your radiator. Check and see if there's any oil floating in you antifreeze.The smokealso have a sweet(kinda) smell to it if it's burning anti-freeze. The problem with these symptoms is.... It could also be a craked head/or blown head gasket.
Hope this helps shed some light on the post...
Old 07-08-2007, 01:31 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

could it be your intake leaking? its still got that hole right? it would smell sorta sweet if you were burning coolant, miy 3.8 was burning that pretty badly when I blew it the first time....

hope its not something too serious, I still need to meet you at the strip when I get mine together... or convince my mom to let me take her '05...which would never happen, even if I was dying of a terminal illness...
Old 07-08-2007, 01:33 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Burnt coolant has a very distinct Oder. If you're not sure of the color, I wouldn't tear the motor open until you are.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:35 AM
89 fox
4th Gear Member

if ya happen to pull the intake...i gotta Edelbrock Performer RPM for sale....
Old 07-08-2007, 01:35 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

well it stopped smoking shortly after so im thinking that something was clogged and got shot out the exhaust. it went back to running like normal, no oil in the coolant no coolant in the oil. oil pressure was great engine temp was fine. i really hope it wasnt a ring i dont have time or money to fix that right now
Old 07-08-2007, 01:37 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89 fox

if ya happen to pull the intake...i gotta Edelbrock Performer RPM for sale....
its ok i have an edlebrock performer rpm sitting on a 289 at my moms thats going right to mine...FOR FREE[8D]

and the exhaust didnt smell sweet at all, no more smoke when i pulled over, no nothin it was like nothing happend
Old 07-08-2007, 01:39 AM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

It could've been something as simple as your PCV valve sticking open and combined with the high-revs of racing. Caused the engine to suck in some oil. It doesn't take very much oil to make alot of smoke. Just a guess.

Quick Reply: lots of smoke, head gaskets maybe?