5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

power steering problems, possibly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:11 AM
droptopred
2nd Gear Member

Default power steering problems, possibly?

my steering is all F'ed up...
sometime when i want to get out of a parking spot i turn the wheel and it only turns a little bit and for it to move more i need to move a lil bit and the wheel will continue to turn...
also i get a squeeking noise comming from the front end... strong noise from the right not so loud from the left... it happens when i turn the wheel... and also if i would push the hood down i took a look but it doesnt seem to be the shocks... its very wierd..
any suggestions as to what to do, i heard flushing the poower steering doesnt work, is there maybe something i can do myself...

also i have another problem thats troubles me very much...

under the hood there is a strong smell of gas, but no leaks under the car, and i get about 9mpg city...

what can i do should i change the fuel filter and where should i check for leaks i have a feeling its leaking gas to the engine and since the engine is hot it never hits the floor and this is very dangerous i dont want the car to go up in flames...

also a noise comming from the trunk area, i am thinking its the air filter...

please if you have any suggestions as to what i can do about this it would help..

thank you so much guys!![:@]
Old 07-09-2007, 10:19 AM
89 fox
4th Gear Member

Default RE: power steering problems, possibly?

you can try a p/s flush, but it sounds like the pump is going out...
as for the squeak when you turn...grease or replace your ball joints..it will go away
the fuel filter is next to the gas tank above the axle...
and why would you think a noise from your trunk would be made by the air filter????[&:]
Old 07-09-2007, 10:24 AM
droptopred
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89 fox

you can try a p/s flush, but it sounds like the pump is going out...
as for the squeak when you turn...grease or replace your ball joints..it will go away
the fuel filter is next to the gas tank above the axle...
and why would you think a noise from your trunk would be made by the air filter????[&:]
because it seems to be going on when i turn the key before i start the car, like i know cars make that noise for a couple of seconds then they stop, mine keeps making the noise, and also the restart button of the gas filter seems to be either stuck because it is always pressed and i can press it, is it supposed to be that way?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:27 AM
89 fox
4th Gear Member

welcome to the worldof a Ford fuel pump..they are constant and loud! that is pretty normal...