5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

engine rebuild , first timer ..... question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:12 PM
franckybosnie
1st Gear Member

Default engine rebuild , first timer ..... question

Ok , I have a 89 5.0 HO . I decided to rebuld my engine (it's a challenge for me). First question is about the timing . When I instaled the timing chain , the "dot" of the camshaft was at 6 o'clock and the key way of the crank at 12 o'clock . But on my damper , the timing mark is a the opposite of the keyway . Poeple talk about little numbers ...the " 20......10.......0........10.......20 " ...... I don't know where it is... as I said there is only a big timing mark .

So if I want to put my distributor , I have to put the piston 1 on DTC . The problem is .... as I said , If I want to put the piston 1 on dtc , I would have to put the timing mark 6 o'clock (on my damper , the timing mark is at the opposite of the keyway so if my timing mark is at 6 , the keyway will be at 12 .....) AND , my "minimg marker" the little metal thing who is supposed tu show you the degrees , is about at 9 or 10 o clock .... is it normal .... There is really something I don't understand lol

Last question : Pistons rings , they were pain in the $%$ tu put it back . OK to remove but to put it back ....damn! I used a ring compressor and it was going very hard . Now it's so hard to turn the crank , I use big extension t turn the crank , I've put a little bit of oil in the cylinders to help ,,,,is it normal that is so hard tu turn a crank with new rings???

I'll finish the rest tonight .... Hoper somebody can help me!!

thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 12:25 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: engine rebuild , first timer ..... question

First on the timing you're making it harder than it needs to be. The timing marks on the crank and cam gear should align(but degree it to check and be sure, sometimes they can be wrong) Don't worry about the alignment of the keyway, when #1 is at TDC the timing pointer should be aligned with the 0 mark on the balancer. As for the rings, were they file to fit and did you file them? If not you have no ring end gap and you really forced everything in there, and it will break the rings and pistons, if they were not file to fit then make sure you got the right size. You'll need a wrench or something to turn the crank with all the pistons in, but if you had to force them in using a ring compressor something is wrong, either your rings are the wrong size, don't have end gap, the oil control ring rails got damaged etc.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:30 PM
franckybosnie
1st Gear Member

ooook no I didnt file them .... What is supposed to be the gap??
Old 07-10-2007, 12:34 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I dunno, it depends on the piston/ring manufacruter and the use of the vehicle. Not all rings are file fit though, some come with the gaps already in them. You need to figure out which ones you got
Old 07-10-2007, 08:21 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

+1000.....
You may need to get that thing apert now as it's easier to it now rather than down the road.
Sounds like some rings aren't right.
I've built shortblocks that take as little as 18 ft/lbs of torque to turn over so you shouldn't need much of a wrench to turn one..........
Old 07-10-2007, 08:31 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

turning over a short block should require a 1/2 ratchet, but it shouldnt require a breaker bar.

i get the gist that the rings were a pain in the *** because of the ring compressor - those rental things are worthless and its easy to be knocking the pistons down and have a ring pop out the bottom of the compressor and not go into the cylinder bore.

i also get the gist that his rings werent file fit (you would have to specify that when ordering a rebuild kit), but very true that its easier to find out now (you should only have to pull one, if its good, your good to go)
Old 07-10-2007, 08:36 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

Wow, huge undertaking man! I give you boat loads of credit for tackling it. Nice job....well....as long as it runs after.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:59 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yeah, most rebuild kits have preset gaps on the rings. I got everything seperate, and Mahle's piston/ring packages are all file to fit, but low drag rings If you have the strength you can actually grab the gear on the crank snout and turn it over by hand that way, but my arms aren't that big. Aratchet and no effort is all it took for me to turn it over
Old 07-10-2007, 09:15 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

You need to oil everything as you put it back together! Oil the crap out of the cyl. bores and use assembly lube on all the bearings!!!!!! Make sure you lube them or you will wipe everything out on start up! The rings will not be file fit unless you specifically ordered them that way or they would be clearly marked in the packaging. Did you plastiguage the bearings? I highly recomend doing so! For less than the buck or two for the plastiguage it is cheap insurance! If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask someone! anyone! You will be much further along than messing up something because you didn't!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:21 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

im having my rods done with my crank and bearings in hand, we're gonna resize those suckers dead on

finally got done polishing them, time for the resizing and balancing...... the II will be alive soon YAY!

Quick Reply: engine rebuild , first timer ..... question