5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

wont start.. ugh

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:44 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: wont start.. ugh

if it doesnt clear up with the reg change and filter change then its probably the control module on the distributor. when you go to autozone it wouldnt hurt to go ahead and pull the module and have it tested. its on the side of the dizzy and is plugged into a harness. remove the plug and two screws and then just slide it down ward. it has a 6 pin plug on one end and a 3 prong on the other. the 3 prongs plug into the dizzy and thats why you slide it down aftyer removing the screws.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:03 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

iceman i replaced that when i bought the car cuz a few days of driving it crapped out... so thats only a year old..

but even with the vaccume line plugged it still acts retarded..

i just replaced the fuel filter and nothing

thaks for the offer guys but i just bought a brand new regulator and it was less than $20.. but idk how to get the old one off.. there are 3 round screws that are facing down and i cant see what type of tool to use.. does anyone know?

and autozone doesnt have a gauge to rent or to purchase...... [>:]
Old 07-11-2007, 04:12 PM
1bad91
1st Gear Member

its 3 allen head screws. kind of a pain to change
Old 07-11-2007, 04:45 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ya i tried changin it and there is no way in hell im gettin that thing off... well in the time i have today.. it was so hard to unscrew the easy one...

but after i changed the filter i pushed the valve stem thing on the fuel rail and it shot fuel out soooo much better than it did b 4 and constant too b 4 it just did a little blip and then nothing.. i kno i have spark and fuell pressure is wayy better but it still dont start.. and i have spark! i put the plug directly off the coil to the block... but the battery is wearing down so i gotta let it charge and ill try it again when i get back from class.. around 930
Old 07-11-2007, 06:53 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

you went to the auto store and didnt bring the control module with you just to be sure its not that. i know you just changed it last year or whatever but those things are very sensitive to heat, especially if you didnt put the white grease they supply with it to help it transfer heat on the metal plate. i changed mine twice in the last year. granted i race mine more than most guys probably do but.............. oh well just let us know when ya get it figured out. another note too is that even if your getting spark it doesnt rule out the module.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:43 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ok ya ill def look into that and i did put the white grease... hmm now that you say that they are very sensitive to heat it could be that.. cuz like a2 months ago i had my HG replaced and the engine did get verry hot a few times... but its been a while but it has been in the upper 80's here so that could have had someting to do w/ it..

it def has the symptoms

Old 07-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

DIY KOEO/KOER/Cylinder Balance Self-Test + check the links in the page. You need to measure the pressure in the system....anything below 28 psi (which looks like a lot of pressure w/out a gauge) will cause the symptoms your car has. BTW....a simple way to check if it's a fuel problem, is to spray some carb cleaner through the breather hose nipple on the throttle body, if the car starts......you have a lack of fuel problem.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:02 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

if you have a multi meter and some time right quick i can tell ya how to check it with your multi meter, let me know if ya wanna do it now and i will take the time to type it up. otherwise i aint doing it. if ya do though let me know and while i type you can be pulling the module off for testing.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ok ill try that carb cleaner thing... and i ran the KOEO test and i have the same 31 ive had for a little while now... but the engin wont start to do a KOER test...

does anyone know the size of the socket needed to remove the TFI module? i cant remember if it was a 7/32 deep or not..
Old 07-11-2007, 09:07 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

that sounds about right and it will be a deep socket. you gonna pull it now cause if ya are i will start getting a diagram ready for you

Quick Reply: wont start.. ugh