5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HCI 99% Complete - Help with last line! *NEED HELP!*UPDATED**

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:54 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Default RE: HCI 99% Complete - Help with last line! *PLZ HELP!*

Got underneath the car with a ratchet and a 15/16" socket . Also, you may be able to spin your motor by turning the alternator pulley if your belt is on there tight, I'm able to do that.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:58 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Thanks Vig! I'm going to attempt this... I spent eight hours putting the car back together last night... not including the other 8 the night before.... I'm probably pushing 30 hours total on the car now...
Old 07-11-2007, 09:01 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

to check and see if you stuck the dizzy wrong you can just swap the wires around. put #1 directly across from where it should be and do the same with the rest of the wires. its a 5 minute quick check to verify the problem
Old 07-11-2007, 09:12 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

to check and see if you stuck the dizzy wrong you can just swap the wires around. put #1 directly across from where it should be and do the same with the rest of the wires. its a 5 minute quick check to verify the problem
I wish I would've known that 5 minutes ago before I broke my #1 spark plug in half... Anyways i'm going to try that when I get the new plug...

Also... Should the car start right up after HCI??? I didn't pour oil in the lifter valley is this going to make a difference?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:33 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

I wish I would've known that 5 minutes ago before I broke my #1 spark plug in half... Anyways i'm going to try that when I get the new plug...

Also... Should the car start right up after HCI??? I didn't pour oil in the lifter valley is this going to make a difference?
My car started after a few seconds of cranking when I got the dizzy in there correctly. I don't think pouring oil in would be hugely critical, but your lifters may be noisy until some oil gets flowing through them.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:39 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VigCS

ORIGINAL: nothsa

My car started after a few seconds of cranking when I got the dizzy in there correctly. I don't think pouring oil in would be hugely critical, but your lifters may be noisy until some oil gets flowing through them.
Now just to be sure... I can just swap the wires to the opposite side and that will tell me if i'm 180 degrees off?

Any other recommendations on starting the car? Let it sit on the on position? etc?
Old 07-11-2007, 10:04 AM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Check your firing order too...that will cause backfire...
Old 07-11-2007, 11:13 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Not to confuse you anymore, but all you have to do is get someone to help you. Once you get the #1 plug out, have him rotate the crank using a deep socket and a ratchet until you feel air being forced through the seal that you created with your finger over the spark plug hole. This will tell you that you are on the compression stroke.

What I do is stick a screw driver through the spark plug hole until it rests on top of the piston, then have a buddy keep turning the crank until the screwdriver is pressed all the way to the top. This tells you that the #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke. NOW is when you stab the dizzy and double check your firing order.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

make sure the breather is in the pvc hole in the lower intake
Old 07-11-2007, 08:32 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

OMG!!! It started WOOHOO!!!

I can't get it to start anymore... but it did start!

That last line is still disconnected and Vig said it goes to the lower intake. Does it connect to the hole in the lower intake? Does it fit in there? It won't reach there if it is supposed to go there so I will need to get another pcv line i'm assuming.

Please help with this last part guys! The beast has almost awaken lol!!!

-Jeff

Quick Reply: HCI 99% Complete - Help with last line! *NEED HELP!*UPDATED**