5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

puffin

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 02:11 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default puffin

ok so i took the mustang out for lunch. i was on the phone with my girlfriend and she said she was behind my car last night and when i went WOT she said there was little white puff of smoke. like hardly anything. when i got on it the first time, i was at full operating temp and everything was working great, no mechanical issues.

this afternoon when i took out the stang i wait for full operating temp, everything was fine and i got on it WOT and i cant see any white puff, i think its so small i cant see it by the time it would be in my view. i dont feel any power loss, no noises, no nothing. i get out, look under the hood, there is no leaks, nothing is wet, everything bone dry on all sides of the motor, nothing dripping. but i do smell a slight....burning? like a mix of plastic and old azz oil.

now i thought of a few possibilities, let me know if its any of the above.
1)i have dry rot on my fuel tank so i figure maybe i'l burning something on my exhaust from the launch maybe some gas sloshes out

2)head gasket isnt blown but maybe leaking? althought i have no coolant loss and no leaking or coolant smell

3)burning oil somehow. anyone know where it would burn from?

4) its all in my head

any suggestions for checking for problems? i figured i would start with plugs?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:15 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: puffin

could be pulling a little past the rings, I wouldn't worry about a litte also it could be leaking on exhaust a little like from valve covers or intake at the back or rear main or pan gasket. anywhere is a possibility.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:22 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

well the car has all new gasket as of 700 miles ago including a rebuild......worries me i have smoke this early after the rebuild

i also spent about 30 minutes looking for the motor with a mirror and flash light....literaly nothing is wet or evident of wetness from oil, coolant or anything.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Interesting bird, the Puffin. At any rate, I bet a little oil is getting past your rings or pcv valve. If it's just a puff, I wouldn't worry. Think of it this way, it's normal for a car to use a quart of oil between changes--that would account for the puff you are seeing. Does your oil level drop between changes?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Have u ever been behind anyone when they get on it? Even 4 bangers give off that little "puff". Dont think its smoke just a sudden surge of exhaust.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:27 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

oh ok, well that makes me feel a ton better. yes i do have oil usage between changes. i just checked it today to make sure it wasnt going down.....i think its down but i can hardly tell if it did or not. thanks for the reassurence guys! now if you could help me with my other post, im peicing together my top end build