5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

VALVE NOISE? OH NO

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:15 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Default RE: VALVE NOISE? OH NO

Did you measure for correct pushrod length? If so they should have bolted down no problem.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:41 PM
94 G STANG
2nd Gear Member

no i didnt measure the length , my 77 stang i cant see anything in your post bro, I have another idea would the stock pushrods say from a cobra be close enough ? i know they came with the same rockers i have in my setup.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:46 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Just do it the way I posted, it will work fine unless your pushrods are too short. Just start off adjusting them with no shims under the rocker and see how it is.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:53 PM
94 G STANG
2nd Gear Member

stanger I used stock pushrods and im sure they are too short, i will do what you said bro I guess im just hoping forthe easy answer wich isnt in this case.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:42 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

ORIGINAL: 94 G STANG

ya sorry the rockers are making noise, how do you adjust them?
i thought they cant be adjusted
If they are loose, you need longer push rods, if they are too tight, you use the shims that came with them. To adjust rockers, first, loosen all you rockers. Then start on the number one cylinder, rotate the engine till you see the rocker/push rod you are adjustingmove up and down, keep going till the push rod right next to it(same cylinder) just starts moving up, now you know you are on base circle. Take the lash out(free play) until you have no up and down movement in you push rod but it will still spin freely by hand. From that point, (you have pedestals I assume) you torque to spec of 19ft/lbs. While torquing to that spec after lash you should have no more than one full turn and no less than 1/4 turn. If you have more than one full turn you will have to add a shim, if you have less you will need to remove a shim or get longer push rods.
This is completel yoff topic, but I just noticed your sig. Best movie ever But how many people out there recognize it?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:58 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

no i didnt measure the length , my 77 stang i cant see anything in your post bro, I have another idea would the stock pushrods say from a cobra be close enough ? i know they came with the same rockers i have in my setup.
close enough my be killing 60rwhp for me my setup are you sure you want that??? and while cobra pushrods will get you close it might be a little to short. You need to buy 2 things and properly measure u need valvetrain checking springs and an adjustable pushrod more than likely 6"-7.5" in length. Chances are ull be in the neighborhood of 6.25-6.5 on pushrod length but when u change pushrod length you may effect your pre load on you lifters which will require you to shim up the rocker are. I am currectly doing something like this. I bought a cam from jay allen, and im dont have as much hp as i should have. This is a possible problem i have been working on all night with a friend. My pushrods may be slittly short and i used stock length and i even measured before i ordered the stock length so its not all easy and straigh foward. But you valvetrain is what controls air flow, which is what makes power so a ****ty valvetrain and you will not have respectable power. This might be my case, or it could be a bad tune, I am do some research to find out. I recommend you get some help if you can, this isnt easy straight foward stuff. If you want any decent answer from us on line will need a lot of pictures and even then we may not give you the best answer just becuase we arent there to see and hear everything first hand. GL
Old 07-16-2007, 11:45 PM
94 G STANG
2nd Gear Member

will do guys thx for all the input ill keep yall posted.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:17 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

ya sorry the rockers are making noise, how do you adjust them?
i thought they cant be adjusted
If they are loose, you need longer push rods, if they are too tight, you use the shims that came with them. To adjust rockers, first, loosen all you rockers. Then start on the number one cylinder, rotate the engine till you see the rocker/push rod you are adjustingmove up and down, keep going till the push rod right next to it(same cylinder) just starts moving up, now you know you are on base circle. Take the lash out(free play) until you have no up and down movement in you push rod but it will still spin freely by hand. From that point, (you have pedestals I assume) you torque to spec of 19ft/lbs. While torquing to that spec after lash you should have no more than one full turn and no less than 1/4 turn. If you have more than one full turn you will have to add a shim, if you have less you will need to remove a shim or get longer push rods.
This is completel yoff topic, but I just noticed your sig. Best movie ever But how many people out there recognize it?
You are the first....I was wondering how long it would take.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:05 AM
jebarr

OFFICE SPACE!!!!! It is one of the greatest movies that nobody knows.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:16 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jebarr

OFFICE SPACE!!!!! It is one of the greatest movies that nobody knows.
Well my avatar is from office space... but the one in his sig isn't. I won't give it away just yet, but it's just one of many cool little things about the movie that you may not notice the first or even second time through. But after watching it a few times, things start to make sense and you see things that you didn't see before.

Quick Reply: VALVE NOISE? OH NO